Alzheimer`s Disease/Dementia w/Lewy Bodies

Question
Mom has been diagnosed with Parkinsons/Dementia along with her Chronic Pain.   Her hallucinations are escalating and becoming more and more dramatic.  Mom has had the rigidity and slow movement, loss of spontaneous movement for years.  We all thought it was related to her back pain.  It’s not.  She has the “fluctuations” in alertness – that’s why she can sound so coherent at times, especially when she’s around people, but she also has the frequent drowsiness, lethargy, time spent staring.  Mom is on Levadopa only (along with Cymbalta and Hydrochodone for pain).  She sees a neurological doctor who seems not to want to deal with the hallucinations, yet it is the hallucinations that are the most difficult to deal with at this point in time. She is able to dress herself with help, however her hands are curling.  She is very dependent on me yet is in denial that she cannot live alone anymore. What "stage" of dementia is this and how can I deal with this?  I am desperate for help

Answer
Good morning Sheryl:  I'm very sorry to hear of your Mom's decline.  My first thought is that you may wish to seek a second opinion from another neurologist.  There is a chance the hallucinations are worsened by the medications.  You will need to be very specific about how the hallucinations are impacting her care and her quality of life.  The denial is quite common and sometimes you can get around it by using the excuse that it's the only way the insurance company will pay for some help; or insist she do it for your convenience and not necessarily because she "needs" it (even though she does).  The doctor can reinforce that she must have 24/7 care as well--even so far as to write out a "prescription" you could then show her when she forgets.  It's not really possible for me to "stage" her dementia since there are so many other variables--you must ask the doctor since they would have much more information.  I don't think it's particularly helpful to always label them with a "stage."  They will fluctuate and bounce back and forth sometimes, so I just like to tell families to always be prepared to meet them right now, at this moment, wherever they are and interact with them according to how they are acting/responding now.  I highly recommend you join a caregiver support group as well--that will be a huge source of information, comfort and support for you.  If they have a Lewy Body support group nearby, that would be ideal, but if not, then joining a dementia support group will still be of great benefit to you and your family.  I wish you much luck Sheryl as you move forward with the many challenges with your Mom. Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner