Alzheimer`s Disease/Urinating in inappropriate places

QUESTION: Our care team is having difficulty stopping a dementia resident from urinating in inappropriate places. He is toileted regularly, Q2H or more often, asked frequently but continues to do this. He has been screened for UTI with negative results. He will sit on toilet with staff and do nothing but 5, 10 or 15 minutes later will urinate in the hallway or a closet or waste basket etc.. He does not have frequency issues and wears a brief. He is occasionally incontinent. Any suggestions?

ANSWER: Hello Debbie:  This is certainly a challenge for you and not an uncommon one.  It seem men with dementia sometimes revert back to boyhood when it was such a kick to just urinate when and where you wished.  My suggestion would be to put some garment on him such as overalls--backwards--so he cannot get them down, but be VERY vigilent about frequently toileting him so he's not incontinent.  This behavior will stop when the dementia progresses, so putting regular clothing on him from time to time to test to see if it has stopped should also be done.  Good luck to you Debbie.  Cindy

I did forget to mention that this type of clothing is considered a restraint and we are unable to use restraints now. Any other suggestions? :)
Thank you !!

Hello again Debbie:
Sorry--I actually was not aware it was now consider a restraint to do this!  Thank you for helping to educate me.  Sometimes it all just seems so very counter-productive when they come up with some of these rules.  My only other suggestion would be to continue the frequent toileting, but to always run the water, give him a small sip of water, or even give him a wet washcloth to hold when he's not urinating during toileting.  That may help prevent a few of the incidents if his bladder is kept empty.  Again, I wish you much luck with this gentleman.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing