Alzheimer`s Disease/vascular dimentia

Question
Hello, my grandmother is 93.5 and she has always seemed to defy the aging process however, she has suffered several TIAs in the past 2 years that we know of. We were recently told at the hospital that she is has vascular dementia. She exhibits the symptoms of disorientation and difficulty walking. She has also recently been medicated for panic attacks which she has never had before. In the past 2 weeks she has become completely bed ridden and sleeps 18-22 hours a day. She does not recognize hunger or thirst and complains that she is so week that she has difficulty sitting up even. Her blood pressure was extremely high last time she saw the doctor. She has had a ecg and heart enzyme tests done. The heart appears to be fine. I am concerned as all the readings I have done on vascular dementia do not list extreme fatigue as a  symptom. I am worried there is another sickness that the doctors are overlooking because she is old. Please tell me if in your opinion do you think this is a stage of the dementia. I am desperate to help her. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Diane,

Thank you for writing.  You have done your "homework" well on your grandmother's condition.

I would strongly suggest requesting a CBC panel #blood# and also a Urine test to see if she may have a Urinary tract infection.

Unfortunately, with TIAs and Vascular Dementia...the person loses abilities much like walking down stairs.  They can plateau, and when another TIA strikes, they show a sharp decline in abilities.   The steps keep going down most of the time.   

I am very sorry for your grandmother's situation.   However, everyday is a GIFT at 93 1/2.  Enjoy and try to make her smile somehow each day.

With Best Regards,

Michalene Peticca, MA

Alzheimer`s Disease

Michalene Peticca