Alzheimer`s Disease/Alzheimer`s Disease

Question
I was just wonder if Alzheimer`s Disease is typically caused by hereditary reasons? My mother had a stroke and now and for a while not has had expressive aphasia and has limited use of her right side. I guess some doctor thought she might have Alzheimer`s Disease and we are currently getting blood work done as well as asking medical questions about her father. How does the disease usually come about? Do people that suffer from it generally become angry or mostly just disoriented and confused about who everyone is? Any major successes in treating it?

Answer
Hello James: I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's memory problems--I'm sure it's very upsetting for the entire family.  There is a form of Alzheimer's that can be inherited but it's actually pretty rare and if you get it, you would tend to get it in your 40s, 50s or 60s rather than later in life.  There is a type of dementia caused by strokes called vascular (or multi-infarct) but they don't typically have the short-term memory loss seen earlier in AD.  It's also possible for her to have two types of dementia at the same time--from her strokes and from AD. We don't yet know exactly what causes AD, and the best treatment we have available at this time is a combination of 2 drugs that can help to slow the progression of the dementia.  That would be one of either Aricept, Exelon or Razadyne PLUS adding Namenda.  These drugs work differently in the brain and they work best together.  It depends of which area of the brain the stroke or the AD is affecting as to what symptoms you will see.  There is no "general" mannerism because it runs the whole gamut from no personality changes with confusion to total personality change with confusion. Blood work will help to show if she has other things contributing to her confusion such as a Vit. B12 deficiency, a thyroid disorder or something else aside from dementia or strokes.  I wish you much luck James as you move with your mother on her journey through dementia.  Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner