Alzheimer`s Disease/Lewy Bodies Dementia

A family member was diagnosed with LBD a year ago.  He is 56 years old.  His decline seems to be rapid compared to what the family has read and been told by doctors.  Specifically, he can no longer walk, even with a walker.  He cannot get himself from his wheelchair onto the couch or into bed.  He cannot control bodily functions.  He cannot clean himself, shave or brush his teeth.  Sometimes, he has difficulty swallowing.  He hallucinates.  He has outbursts of laughing at inappropriate times and crying.  How long until he no longer knows who I am?

Hello Fay:
I'm very sorry to hear of your loved one's rapid decline.  It sounds as if he may actually have more than one type of dementia besides the LBD.  That's not uncommon and he could be having strokes as well.  Either way, those areas in his brain are being affected and it is extremely difficult to predict which area of the brain will be affected next.  He may begin to think you are someone else and then on a "good day" remember who you are.  Eventually, he will not remember any family members.  Try to not take any of this personally--it's the brain damage--and you know he would not forget any of you if he did not have this terrible disease.  Keep him happy and comfortable and I wish you much luck as you move forward with him on his journey through dementia.  Generally, if the dementia begins to move quickly, it will continue to move quickly until the end.  Again, it's very difficult to predict, but I would advise you discuss a hospice option with his physician so that when the time comes, he and the family are more comfortable.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing