Alzheimer`s Disease/alterimers and aggressing verbal and physical

Question
My mother has become increasing aggressive and verbally abuse toward us. One minute she is sweet and the next minute she is nasty we are having difficulties dealing with her abusive ways how and what can we do when she gets like this. It is everyday

Answer
Hello Veronica:  I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's mood swings--I'm sure it's very hard to handle.  First of all, if she has a diagnosis of some type of dementia, such as Alzheimer's, then mood swings can be a part of that.  Some people have them and others do not.  You must work hard to never take anything she says personally--just remember that she now has brain damage and she would not be saying these things if she didn't.  If you haven't already, please get her evaluated by either a geriatrician or a neurologist to see if there is a medication that can help take the edge off that aggressiveness.  Also, you must all work hard to not get her upset--I know, that's much easier said than done.  Don't argue with her--let her be right and you apologize and take the blame.  Just remember, when she's happy, then you are happy, so your goal is to try to keep her as happy as possible.  If she becomes demanding, you can learn to stall her by telling her you will do it as soon as you finish lunch, or whatever, and she will likely forget about it by then.  As long as she thinks she will get what she wants, she will be happier.  If she can manage it, exercise of some type (walking is great) will help her and you get rid of some energy.  Play her favorite music to help keep her in a good mood.  Read some books to help give you ideas of how to keep her happy or how to handle the behaviors.  Of course, I recommend my first book "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia," as well as Jolene Brackey's book "Creating Moments of Joy."  I wish you much luck Veronica as you continue to travel this difficult journey with your mother.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner