Alzheimer`s Disease/Suspected Alzheimer's Disease

My Father In Law's age is 91 years
Some 3 years back he developed Diabetes Neuropathy and was operated for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in one finger.Since that time after recovery  he had been taking Gabapentin 300 regularly. Now he has no Neuropathy problem.But recently he has developed Dementia and associated Alzheimer's  problem.He had also suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome,but the problem is not much now.
Main Problems at present
1)Forgetting earlier information 2)Mood Changes 3)Confusion about time and place,4)Communication Difficulties,5)Difficulty recognising family ,
persons,6)Feeling of restlessness,7)Loss of Appetite,8)Inability to understand,9)Immobility to a large extent,10)Impaired Communication/confusion/difficulty speaking/throwing off food,11)Depression/Psychotic,12)Hallucination and Delusion 12)Melancholy,13)Memory loss
RENDERING Impaired Ability to function in daily life.
         Although Alzheimer's Disease is suspected NO Disease Specific Drugs for Alzheimer's Disease could not be given ,AS NO MRI OF BRAIN could be performed DUE TO HIS RESTLESSNESS
ONLY MEDICINES GIVEN TO HIM PRESENTLY QUETIPINE(25 mg)twice daily and LOXAPINE  on SOS basis.for this dementia problem
        My question to you whether we can give him Acetylcholine improving and Glutamate Receptor Drugs on a low dose to somewhat improve his condition.

Hello Kalyan:  I'm very sorry to hear of your Father-in-law's current issues.  I'm sure it's very difficult for you and your family.  I will try to answer your question, however you must recognize that I am not a physician and only a physician can make the decision about those medications.  I will tell you what I know.
It does sound like he has a type of dementia such as Alzheimer's, and it sounds to me as if he is under the regular care of a physician who is attempting to address the very difficult issues of the behaviors and moods.  Please know that it is ALWAYS a big guessing game as to whether or not any medication will work on a dementia patient.  Even if the medication does work, once the brain damage progresses, it may not work 6 months down the road.  The Gabapentin, the Quetipine and the Loxapine will all affect his moods and his agitation--the hope is that these meds will help to calm him.  Even though the Gabapentin is being given for the neuropathy, it also has an anti-anxiety effect on many elders.  The "anti-Alzheimer's" drugs are often given in order to help preserve some of the function and cognition he still has.  Additionally, the Namenda has been shown in past studies to help reduce agitation, however, newer studies show it does not and may make it worse.  So again, it's a guessing game.  You may wish to have him evaluated by a neurologist who would likely try to change the meds, but again, that may or may not have much effect.  They may wish to add an antidepressant since depression makes everything worse, but that decision must come from the physician and the family.  
All this being said, it's also crucial that everyone interacting with him is doing so in a manner that doesn't upset him.  I would refer you to my book "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" for many, many tips on how to accomplish that.  Jolene Brackey's book "Creating Moment of Joy" is also a good source.  
I wish you much luck Kalyan as you and your family seek to find answers to help enrich the life of this gentleman.  It will not be easy, but please don't get discouraged.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing