Alzheimer`s Disease/dementia

Question
Hello Cindy will just wanted to let you know The lady i  take care of her  physical health is doing better She being drinking her fluids  But i  see her mental health decline forgetting more Or saying i  don't remember or i  don't know My question is she still able to dress her self and she put her make up on Is that the early stages of dementia She  very independent and know you want them to keep having a social life and she does She starting to argue with me And i  know they don't understand  But she in denal that they is anything wrong with her  But she still dress herself I know there are stages Thank you You have been very helpful  i appreciate it  Carolyn

Answer
Hello again Carolyn:  I'm glad you are finding this site helpful for you and that I've been able to answer some of your questions.  
It is normal for her mental health or cognitive health to be declining if she has some type of dementia.  There is no way to determine how quickly it will progress.  Your life and her life will be much happier if you can allow her to do whatever she still can by herself and praise her for every effort.  Even if she dresses wrong, or puts her makeup on incorrectly, try not to tell her she's wrong. When you need to step in to help her, do so with a smile and never say "No, that's not right," because I'm sure you're aware that she never thinks she's wrong.  Rather, say things like "How about if we try it this way?"  "Do you think this might work?"  "We all need just a little bit of help sometimes."  Try to not argue with her about anything unless it's a big safety issue such as her wanting to drive or walk outside in the bad weather.  Try delaying tactics such as "Oh, that's a good idea, let's do that right after I've finished with the dishes."  Then, maybe she will have forgotten what it was she wanted to do.  Don't try to tell her there is anything wrong with her, because she won't believe you.  She probably thinks the problem is with YOU!  That's okay, you can always take the blame for everything, and apologize, and then move on.  For example, if she thinks you've deliberately hidden her pocketbook.  Don't try to explain it to her, just say something like "Oh, I would never do that, but I may have put it away somewhere so I will help you look for it right now.  I'm very sorry, I promise I won't move it again."  
I'm sure this lovely lady can be quite a handful for you Carolyn, and I'm thankful she has a caregiver who really cares about her safety and happiness.  Keep up the good work Carolyn.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner