Alzheimer`s Disease/Son with early onset

sheyy wrote at 2014-12-22 16:33:59
My son is already on SS disability and has been for several years. This is part of the income his family depends on.  His wife makes approximately $3,000 a month and he gets 2,000 in disability.  I know this sounds like a lot but just to rent a decent house in our area is close to $2,000 a month, then they have 2 girls in college, medical bills, medical insurance premiums, etc. and there isn't anything left.

I don't know if they'd qualify for Medicaid before having the nursing home expenses.  Is there additional help for ss other than disability?  

I'm not sure what you meant by group homes, if you're referring to assisted living type facilities, none take Medicaid, nor do they handle late stage AD and they cost $4,000-^6,000 per month.

I guess I don't know the difference between a group home and a nursing home.  

When I speak of my husband and I caring for him, I mean he'll probably stay at our house as his wife works.  However, we have a son, two daughters, and his wife who will help.  We won't be totally on our own.  He's my son and I guess I feel he was a pain as a two year old and I handled it, if he goes back to acting like a two year old I can handle that too.  

Thank you for all your help

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing