Alzheimer`s Disease/help

I'm on my phone please excuse typos

My maternal grandfather is losing his mind and it scars me but I'm also not sure what to do he refuses to go to the doctor and nobody will make him go

He ha s short term memory he asks what day it is probably 500 times a day and that is not an exaggeration in fact it is probably more. He forgets what month and year we are in. He gets angry out of nowhere like today he came up to me and he told me I was a god damn pest and to get iut of his house so my grandma and I left we came back and he was kicking my cat in the head and he stormed into the house saying that we have ruined his life.

Then later he will completely forget he was mad. He will leave the house and call my grandma asking where he was going. He will randomly go and buy a gallon of milk or a birthday cake because he thinks it is someones birthday.

What is wrong with him

Hello Desirai:  I'm very sorry to hear of your grandfather's increasing problems.  I know it's very hard for you and your family to understand and to handle.  
He REALLY needs to get to a doctor in order to find out what is wrong.  A diagnosis of some type of dementia, like Alzheimer's, can only be made after a lot of other things are ruled out by the doctor.  There are literally a hundred different things that could be causing his symptoms, so I'm hoping you and your family can come up with some way to get him evaluated.  Would an "intervention" from all the family persuade him to go to the doctor?  Would it work to just schedule the appointment (with you telling the doctor's office ahead of time of his symptoms and his reluctance to come in), and don't tell him about it, but drive him there.  Then, if he refuses to go in, tell him they will charge him anyway or else also schedule an appointment for your grandmother at the same time so he can go in with her?  If he takes medication, maybe telling him the doctor said he must have blood tests to see if the meds need to be changed will work.  Unless you can get him in to be evaluated, you are waiting for the crisis to happen.  That will happen when he falls and breaks something, or has an accident of some type, or wanders away from home and cannot be found--there are many, many ways for him to have a crisis which will then lead to him going to an emergency room where he can be evaluated.  
I hope for his sake and for you and your family's sake, that you can find a way to get him evaluated before a crisis occurs.  I wish you much luck and prayers Desirai.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing