Alzheimer`s Disease/Cranial Dementia after stroke

My dad had a stroke in 2009. The Dr said usually the blockage is on one side of the artery and causes the opposite side paralysis and other symptoms commonly seen with a stroke. My dad's blockage was in the center and did not cause the usual side effects. He was in a coma for three days and had temporary paralysis with his left arm and face and right leg. He also developed double vision and a slurred speach. All of the symptoms eventually went away except the double vision. He also experienced a personality change. He became much more easy going, almost kid like in his sense of humor and decision making skills. He is able to take care of himself and carry on intelligent conversation. Recently the Dr told him he had (or would get?) cranial dementia and he would not remember anyone. My dad is 58. If the stroke was going to cause dementia wouldn't we have seen signs by now? I am confused why the Dr suddenly decided to tell my dad this information. He has not had any recent CT scans or other tests.

Hello Maranda:  I'm very sorry to hear of your dad's health issues.  I'm sure it's very confusing for all of you to suddenly be told he would have dementia.  Your dad may have said something to the doctor about not being able to remember things as well as he wishes, and that may be why he was told about the dementia.  Dementia is the umbrella term and there are many different types, with Alzheimer's being the most common type.  Multi-infarct or vascular dementia is often considered to be the second most common type of dementia and it is caused by the strokes in the brain that damage different areas.  As each stroke happens, he will lose more and more of his abilities and memories.  I'm glad to hear that the initial stroke resulted in his being more easy-going rather than the other way around where he might be very paranoid and suspicious all the time.  So, to answer your question, you are already seeing signs of the dementia--his personality change is probably the biggest change.  If you are seeing his ability to remember things or people, or recall words when speaking decline, these are signs as well.  There is no easy way to tell how quickly the strokes will occur, or which area of his brain will be hit next, but dementia is progressive and not curable.  As long as he continues to have strokes, he will continue to suffer damage in his brain.  Eventually, if he does not succumb to the strokes themselves, his brain will suffer enough damage that he will not likely be able to care for himself in any way, or remember people or events.  I'm sorry I don't have more positive news for you Maranda, but this is the reality of strokes in the brain.  I urge you and your family to try to keep him happy and enjoy the time you still have with him.  Also, please take steps to protect your own brains from suffering this same fate.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing