Alzheimer`s Disease/stepmother may have AD

Question
My step mother seems to be in the early stages of dementia, although there has been no diagnosis. One symptom is that she is making irrational accusations against me. How should I deal with this?

She and my dad have been married almost 20 years, after the deaths of their fist spouses. She and I got along really well most of that time, and I was thrilled that my dad found someone to be happy with. Now she is accusing me of things like stealing from them or trying to "sell the house out from under" them. My dad's mind is OK but he is physically frail and just not up to dealing with this.

Should I  ignore it? Try to reason with her (For example ask why I would do something like that)? Or is there something else I should be doing? I know she needs to go in for a full evaluation, but I live 200 miles away and have little influence over things like that.

Thanks,

Jo

Answer
Hello Jo:
First, I apologize for the delay in answering your inquiry--I just now received it for some reason.  
This is a tough spot for you to be in and you may not be able to affect much change.  You are correct in that she does need an evaluation, or a full work-up for dementia.  I would suggest that you speak privately with your dad and tell him you are concerned, and that it may not be dementia at all, but it may be something that can easily be fixed.  She must be seen by a geriatrician or a neurologist who can decide what the issues are.  The doctor must be informed of the personality changes since she would likely deny that.  Does she have children you can enlist to help?  
When she accuses you of something like trying to sell the house, you may try something like this (in a very calm voice):  "I'm really sorry you feel that way and I would like to set your mind at ease about this.  I would like to mail you a statement/promise/legal document stating that I will not be a party to any sale or transfer of your house.  Would that help convince you that I am completely serious about this?"  If she agrees, then go ahead and send her that statement.  Always try to be calm and not argue with her since she totally believes she is right and will only get upset which will upset your father.  If she continues with the accusations, then try to limit any time you spend talking with her.  I would suggest you continue to converse with your dad, and/or write him notes, and always be sure to include your regards/love for her.  She is exhibiting paranoia and that is a very difficult thing to overcome.  If she does have dementia, in time, she will forget those paranoid thoughts.  
I wish you much luck Jo as you try to handle these issues with your mother-in-law.  I know it is a difficult road to follow.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner