Alzheimer`s Disease/demetnia, hearing voices

My mother, 90, has been diagnosed with dementia because she is hearing voices other than that she is in excellent health, coherent, alert, good natured. Her husband pasted away 7 months ago, which shortly after that was when she started hearing the voices. I am a firm believer in natural medicine. The doctor has her on lisinopril, Exelon patch and most recently risperidone, which seems to have made things worse. He also had her on pantoprazole,ranitidine, citalopram, which he has taken her off them. After reading the side effects of the ones she on now can cause what she is experiencing now. I feel that it is the atmosphere that she is in that is most of her problem. She hates the house that she is living in, a lot of negative memories for her (abusive and loveless marriage). I think she needs to get out of that house, since she don't hear the voices other than in that house. What is your opinion?

Hello Rita:
I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis.  I'm sure it's very difficult for you and your family to know how to best help her.
My first thought is to have her evaluated by either a neurologist or a geriatrician to see if they agree with the diagnosis and the medications.  It's always a big guessing game with meds and dementia, so they may have to try several things before finding one or two that work.  If you feel she would be better off in a different setting, then I would start to make plans to move her.  Be aware that that may not solve the problem of the audio hallucinations, but it's worth a try if you can make the arrangements.  It would be best if she could be monitored around the clock by someone living with her, or being placed into assisted living.  She may very well try to "go home" from wherever you place her, so she would need to be monitored.  
I would invite you to focus on providing her with things she loves and enjoys--music, hobbies, visits with friends or relatives, etc.  That will help to keep her more calm and maybe lessen the voices she hears.
I wish you much luck Rita as you move forward with your dear mother on this journey through dementia.  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing