Alzheimer`s Disease/Where to start??


My 81 yr old mother lives alone in Houston, TX. She has between stages 4&5 of Alzheimer's for the last couple years. I handle her finances. My brother and I try to visit her at least every other day. We call her several times daily to make sure she's okay and walk her through the process of taking her medications. She doesn't cook or drive, so we haven't been overly concerned about immediate dangers. We need to be prepared for the next stage, but I don't know where to start. Her $2300 month income doesn't give us a lot of options, but she probably doesn't qualify for assistance. She has a small life insurance policy and a few thousand dollars in stock. Should our 1st step be to hire an attorney? I don't want to unnecessarily or unwittingly give her meager savings away if not necessary. What kind of attorney? Help. Thanks for your time.

Hi Ed,

 I am so sorry I just received your question.  Hopefully, you have found an answer to your question.

 The first place I would start would be your local Office of Aging to apply for any and all assistance your mom could receive with her income.

 Second, you would want to find an Elder law attorney that specializes in preserving assets.

I hope you were able to find help!

With Best Regards,

Michalene Peticca, MA  

Alzheimer`s Disease

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michalene Peticca


I'd be happy to help with any questions about Alzheimer's or Dementia diseases. I can also help with Medicare, Long term care & other insurance questions.


I have my Masters degree in Geriatrics and am credentialed through the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Pennstate Milton Hershey hospital and the American Geriatrics Society. I've been in healthcare for over 20 years and worked directly with Alzheimer's and Dementia individuals for most of that time. I am also a licensed insurance agent in PA and MD. Currently i train healthcare professionals to care for Alzheimer and Dementia individuals and i have been a care manager for guardianship services in PA

American Geriatrics Society

Masters degree in Geriatrics Licensed insurance agent in PA & MD.

Past/Present Clients
PHI Homes in Pennsylvania York, Dauphin & Adams County Area on Aging The Jewish Home of Harrisburg

©2017 All rights reserved.