Alzheimer`s Disease/Memory Testing

I believe there are organizations that offer tests to adults to ascertain whether they have a memory problem. How does one know which organization is good or bad?

Hello David:
Thank you for asking this question.  There are often many organizations offering memory testing, however it would greatly depend on where you are living.  The tests are standardized, so it should not be a question of "good or bad" testing.  Possibly the first place to start would be to ask your local Office of Aging or Senior Center if they have this information.  Also, if you're concerned about a loved one showing some memory loss, then the first step would be to get that person to their primary care physician.  I would tell the office in advance that there are memory issues, so you would like to have some type of workup done for that.  It doesn't matter which test(s) are used, they are not a definitive diagnosis of any type of dementia.  They only contribute a small portion to the puzzle and the physician needs to perform blood tests, possibly some brain scans, as well as a detailed history from family or caregivers in order to come to the diagnosis of dementia (or not).  Every primary care physician for an elderly person should be giving memory tests on an annual basis in order to establish a "baseline" for that person so they can detect issues much easier in the future.  
I hope this has helped answer your question David.  Good luck to you.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing