Alzheimer`s Disease/Alzheimer`s Disease

Respected Sir/Madam
       My question is whether Gabapentin(Neurontin) can cause Dementia and Alzheimer's  problem.
  More precisely my 90 year old father is a patient of Diabetes for long 30 years.Some 3 years back he developed Diabetes Neuropathy and was operated for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in one finger.Since that time after recovery  he had been taking Gabapentin 300 regularly. Now he has no Neuropathy problem.But recently he has developed Dementia and associated Alzheimer's  problem.The Doctor has advised to stop taking Gabapentin.But whenever on previous occasions Gabapentin was tried to be stopped the tingling /burning sensation in the finger again developed. after a short break.
        My question is whether Gabapentin can contribute to his Dementia and associated problem.Possibly it should not be stopped for his neuropathy problems,With thanks
Answer:   Dear Kalyan,

HI Kalyan,

Unfortunately, I am not a physician and therefore cannot give advice on medications.   However, I do want to point out that Alzheimer's is Not developed this late in life.  Dementia like symptoms can occur because of medications, dehydration, infections, etc.    There is also a very strong correlation to Diabetes and Alzheimer's disease.

I would suggest another opinion on your father's condition, seeing a neurologist, if that is possible.

With Best Regards,

Michalene Peticca, MA  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Michalene Peticca

I'd be happy to help with any questions about Alzheimer's or Dementia diseases. I can also help with Medicare, Long term care & other insurance questions.

I have my Masters degree in Geriatrics and am credentialed through the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Pennstate Milton Hershey hospital and the American Geriatrics Society. I've been in healthcare for over 20 years and worked directly with Alzheimer's and Dementia individuals for most of that time. I am also a licensed insurance agent in PA and MD. Currently i train healthcare professionals to care for Alzheimer and Dementia individuals and i have been a care manager for guardianship services in PA

American Geriatrics Society

Masters degree in Geriatrics Licensed insurance agent in PA & MD.

PHI Homes in Pennsylvania York, Dauphin & Adams County Area on Aging The Jewish Home of Harrisburg