Alzheimer`s Disease/About Aricept and Zyprexa

QUESTION: Because of bad memory a doctor prescribed me Aricept. I don't have dementia or Alzheimer, just bad memory. The problem is i am also on an antipsychotic called Zyprexa. Since i have bad memory i forgot to mention to this doctor that i am on antipsychotic. Now i checked online for interactions and it is warned that i must not take both Zyprexa and Aricept together as there are risk of bad effects. I want to ask you what you think about taking these meds together, should i stay away from Aricept as long as i am on Zyprexa? If yes, how long should i wait after quiting Zyprexa so that i can start to take Aricept? I am 35 years old with bad memory.

ANSWER: Dear Barzan,

I could better answer your question if you give me the source(s) of the online  warning against the combination. There is no general contraindication agains these drugs used together but neither there's any evidence-based reassuring information.

You might also want to share your doctor's conclusion on the reasons behind your memory problem and why you are prescribed Aricept. When I know more, I think I can suggest a solution.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Tanya Zilberter

QUESTION: I suffer from anxiety and previously auditory hallucination. I had to go through a neuropsychological test and the result was i had mild reduced attention/concentration.But i disagreed with the result and explained that i have bad memory and that's why the result came out like that. I discussed this with a doctor and told him about my memory problems and then said it's a good idea to try you on Aricept.

The source  about online  warning against the combination is this Norwegian site You enter the medicines name and the comes up with the warning about interaction. Following is a google translated dircet link

Dear Barzan,

I've analyzed your information and here's what I figured out. The only two sources available for the warning were the following:

1. Changes in trend of antipsychotics prescription in patients treated with cholinesterase inhibitors after warnings from Italian Medicines Agency. Results from the EPIFARM-Elderly Project. Franchi et al., Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012 Aug;22(8):569-77

2.Seizures associated with memantine use. Peltz et al., Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2005 Feb 15;62(4):420-1.

The first is a meta-analysis of usage of entire class of anti-psychotic drugs including atypical ones, where Zyprexa is mentioned in the list of reference and in the context of cerebrovascular complications well known for the elderly dementia population:

Wooltorton, E., 2004. Olanzapine (Zyprexa): increased incidence of cerebrovascular events in dementia trials. CMAJ 170, 1395.

The second one is a citation concerning research on the usage of memantine (N-methyl-D-aspartate  antagonist approved for Alzheimer’s disease) for catatonic schizophrenia and neither Aricept nor Zyprexa as well as these drugs under different names.

You might want to read the full test of the first article here

I wrote to you about a different, more general, non prescription and inexpensive possibility for improvement of cognitive functions, which is currently at work in the lab I collaborate with. It is very promising in cognitive/memory decline in mice model of Alzheimer's disease and in several available human case studies (in preparation). To read about the project, go here

One of the case studies is described l available human case studies (in preparation). To read about the project, go here

Alzheimer`s Disease

Tanya Zilberter

I can answer questions concerning prevention and the latest trends in treatment of Alzheimer's disease.

Worked as an expert consultant for the Mediterranean Institute of Neurobiology, then in the Institute of Systems Neuroscience in Marseille, France. Currently collaborate with the research group "Metabolism and Neuroprotection". Project: metabolic correction of neurodegenerative diseases; supported by the Alzheimer's Association grant. Developer and editor of the official website of the Group.

PhD in Neurophysiology