Alzheimer`s Disease/runny nose while eating

Question
My husband has FTD and suddenly his nose runs while eating or drinking. What triggers this symton and is there any remedy? He also suffers from chronic hiccups which makes him very uncomfortable.
I'm one of those people that needs to understand.
Hope you can help.
Thank you

Answer
Hi Kathryn,

I have only seen this in the past a couple times with FTD folks.  Unfortunately, I am not sure if it is because of the brain shrinking near the sinus cavities or some other underlining reason.  It is such a rare occurrence.

Is it possible to have an Ear, Nose, Throat Doctor examine your husband?  If not, a Benedryl a day may help.

Hiccups may occur because of esophageal constriction. Does your husband have an TIAs? (small strokes)  However, try massaging his throat area when hiccups are occurring and see if this relaxes the esophageal muscles enough so that he stops.

Hope this guides you in the right direction for more answers.

With Best Regards,

Michalene Peticca, MA  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Michalene Peticca