Alzheimer`s Disease/Withdrwal of Neropathy drugs

Question
Respected Sir/Madam
        My question is whether Gabapentin(Neurontin) can cause Dementia and Alzheimer's  problem.
   More precisely my 90 year old father is a patient of Diabetes for long 30 years.Some 3 years back he developed Diabetes Neuropathy and was operated for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in one finger.Since that time after recovery  he had been taking Gabapentin 300 regularly. Now he has no Neuropathy problem.But recently he has developed Dementia and associated Alzheimer's  problem.The Doctor has advised to stop taking Gabapentin.But whenever on previous occasions Gabapentin was tried to be stopped the tingling /burning sensation in the finger again developed. after a short break.
         My question is whether Gabapentin can contribute to his Dementia and associated problem.Possibly it should not be stopped for his neuropathy problems,With thanks

Answer
Dear Kalyan,

Gabapentin, quite to the contrary to your concern, is reportedly used to ease some of the Alzheimer's symptoms as well as non-Alzheimer's dementia.

Selected wources:
Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 24(4), 2004,459-460
Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 17(1), 1997, 59-60

Alzheimer`s Disease

Tanya Zilberter