Alzheimer`s Disease/dehyration cant drink water

Hello Cindy You have been  giving me great information The lady i take care has a promblem drinking water  she said it make her sick She drink  a little But it hard for me  try to get her to drink it I don't know if because she had stomach surgery a long time ago She get dizzy  alot and up set stomach come and go   But she drinks diet rite i think that can cause some of those symptoms she said that help her nausous And she was  in the hospital other day she had short of breath  dizzy thought she was going to pass out on me  So i  called ambulance All they could find she was a little dehydrated low on magnism  they gave her  i v fluids her chest and brain scan came back negative I feel and her daughter agree she drinks to much diet rite  The doctors say she needs to drink more water And her daughter has try to tell her the doctors told her  Is it the dementia  I feel like the bad guy here  When I'm taking care of her I tried to get her to drink water with electrolytes  water , and popsicle with electroylites does do that but she drink diet rite too  i try to explain her that diet rite is not good for her But she said she need it Maybe  one or two a day and switch off  Will i know she 81 years old  can you tell what i should do in this situation Because it getting stressful on me  or have any alternative  Just leave alone  and don't push it Is  diet rite a fluids Since she  is getting some water  I'm don;t want her to be back in the hospital Thank you Carolyn

Hello Carolyn:  Yes, elders with dementia will often be very stubborn about what they will and will not eat/drink.  I'm wondering if the cola in the Diet Rite (if it has cola), is what is helping to settle her stomach?  A couple of suggestions:  Be sure to put lots of ice in her drink so that she will get more water with it; If she doesn't like ice, then try to water the drink down a bit; Bargain with her--"The doctor said you can only have 3 of these every day, and you must drink more water, so if you drink this 1/2 cup of water FIRST, you can have the Diet Rite; If she doesn't like water, how about adding some flavor?  Is there a cola flavor you can add to it?  You need to pick your battles with this lovely lady.  Talk with the daughter and come to a decision--she's 81 and she wants what she wants--how much are you willing to give her to keep her happy in her last years?  I know if I were 81 and I was told I eat too much chocolate and it's not good for me, I would say "I'd rather eat chocolate and be happy for 1 more year than do without it & maybe live longer for 5 more years." It's quality versus quantity of life.  Good luck to you Carolyn as you continue to care for this elder.  Cindy  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing