Alzheimer`s Disease/dementia, picks disease

My husband had been acting strangely for about 2 years, but when he turned 61, our home burned down and he went off the deep end.  He had been changing- he was not the person I married, he was hallucinating, unable to sleep, imagining things, started acting odd sexually, came up to strange people and girls says saying things of a sexual nature, started shoplifting, cleaned out our bank accounts, very aggressive toward me, threatening to kill me, lost jobs, accusing me of infidelity, etc. and one time I even told him that I wanted him back like he used to be and he told me that this was the new him and he couldn't change back.  shortly after that when our house burned down, (electrical problem)he really went into hallucinations, and acting like he was 12 years old.  In fact he would tell people it was his birthday and he was 12 today.  My sons and I decided he needed to be hospitalized.  He could not dress himself anymore and he had gotten very obsessive and compulsive, counting everything and keeping track of his counts.  In the hospital, after 2 weeks of testing they told me that he had Picks Disease and being put on 5 mg olanzapine and 10 mg citralapram, he came home, but everything continued until the medicine finally kicked in.  He now sleeps all night and most of the day, but the doctor says he is not on enough to make him sleep that much.  But I would rather have him this way, than being afraid of him.  Earlier this year I joined a support group and I was told that I should have him re-evaluated.  I made an appointment waited 3 months and then was told they needed an MRI of his brain, so we had it sent over and 4 months later we finally got into the Dr again and after going over the MRI she said that there is not any signs that he has Picks disease or FTLD.   In fact she felt he probably was Bi-Polar.  I sort of argued with her because why would he at 60 be Bipolar, when he has always been dependable, thoughtful, responsible, very level headed, decisive, handled family money etc.  You don't get it at that age.  I do believe that he has dementia, but how do I go about finding my way.  This new doctor also wants to change his medication and get him off of olanzapine, but I don't want him threatening me like he did.  I do find that when he doesn't get his sleep, he does get more aggressive etc.
I am at a crossroads and I need direction.  I hope someone came help me

Hello Joyce:  Wow!  You really have a lot on your plate with your husband's issues.  I commend you for seeking answers despite being told by experts but feeling in your gut it's not the right answer.  Please keep in mind that I am not a physician, but I will give you my impression.  It does sound to me more like Picks, especially since he's acting childlike and is very impulsive.  I would not change his meds if you're not comfortable doing so, because you must keep yourself safe.  My suggestion to you would be to take him to a geriatric psychiatrist, and if you cannot find one, then a neurologist who has a lot of expertise with elders.  Take his MRI and any records you have with you, and make a list of questions to ask.  You have two very different diagnoses here and you need to continue until you get an explanation of why they think it's one or the other, or something entirely different.  Please don't be afraid to "argue" your concerns.  You are his only advocate now, and you need answers, and you need to feel safe as well.  I hope you have obtained a healthcare and financial power of attorney so you can protect your money and also make healthcare decisions for him.  I wish you much luck Joyce as you continue to seek answers.  I'm sorry I was not able to give you more direction.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing