Alzheimer`s Disease/Dementia with Lewy bodies

Hi Cindy, I was wondering, in your experience how many patients with dementia with lewy bodies do you see diagnosed compared to alzheimers?
Many thanks

Hello Emilia:  I see far fewer people with LBD than with either Alzheimer's or vascular dementia (or mixed).  My father had LBD and the last story in my book is about that, and I included it in my book because it's more difficult in many ways for family to handle LBD behaviors.  One problem too, is that LBD is often misdiagnosed as Parkinson's dementia, or just as "dementia-type unspecified."  They're getting better and better at diagnosing it, and it's very important they do either confirm or rule it out since some of the medications they use for behavior control in the other dementias can may LBD worse, and they can die faster.  I hope I've answered your question.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing