Alzheimer`s Disease/Alzheimer's and urinating

Question
My husband was diagnosed with AD 5 years ago and has just recently started urinating in strange places; next to the bed, in the closet etc.  I'm sure that it must be occurring during the night as he does use the the bathroom during the day.  I have him use the toilet before going to bed and there are night lights in both his bedroom and the bathroom, which is right next to the bedroom.  I am lost and could use any suggestions you offer.  I have considered diapers, but don't think that's the answer.

Thank you for any assistance.

Answer
Hello Lorraine:  I know this is extremely frustrating for you, and I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with it.  It's a difficult thing to handle since he's still so "mobile" and able to toilet himself.  He's just not recognizing what/where the toilet is with the brain damage.  A couple of things you can consider:
(1)  Purchase an alarm pad that will be set off once he gets out of bed and you can then assist him to the bathroom;
(2)  Get a bedside commode and have it right beside his bed--there is no guarantee he will use it, but it may decrease the accidents. Be sure it place it where he will be standing up, and have the lid up so he sees what it is.   
I think you're right in that briefs would not help in his case--he would just pull them down.  
Know that this problem will not last forever.  The brain damage will increase, and he will eventually become incontinent and will not awaken to urinate.  Until that happens, I wish you much luck in decreasing this problem Lorraine.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner