Alzheimer`s Disease/help a friend

my friend in her early 90's does not have dementia. her daughter and I both agree on this. her son and daughter-in-law want to put her in a home so they can relocate to anothe rarea where her brother lives. what can we do to help her?

Hello Carolyn:  You are a good friend!  What ends up happening depends on who has the legal and medical Power of Attorney for this woman.  If it's the son, and he decides to place her in a facility, unless he can work out an agreement with his sister, then that is what will happen.  If they have joint POA, you'll have to consult with an attorney (eldercare attorney), but I'm thinking they would both need to sign to have her placed.  If this woman does not want to go into a home, can she convince the son not to place her?  If placement is imminent, could you and your friend seek out the best place for her rather than the son?  It sounds like she may do okay in an assisted living facility and she may actually do quite well with all the social stimulation she would receive.  It's probably best to check with an attorney for your state to see what the laws are for placing an elder.  I wish you much luck Carolyn as you and your friend continue to be advocates for this elderly woman.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing