Alzheimer`s Disease/Anti Psychotic Drug Quatiapine

Question
Respected Sir,
         My 92 year old father is suffering from Alzheimer's/ Dementia.He is taking Quetiapine for relief from hallucinations , delusions, and ease agitation.But the  patient is suffering stiffness in hands/legs and muscle stiffness.Probably the medicine has got some extra pyramidal effects which is causing this type of pseudo parkinsion problem.If we stop Quetiapine his restlessness increases.How long this can be taken,as we apprehend bending of knees etc in future.Although this a (SGA)second generation antipsychotic drug,whther a second alternative better medicine is there to take of his problems with MINIMISED side effect

Answer
Hello Kalyan,

I am so sorry your father suffers from Dementia.  Although I am not a doctor....I have seen very little effect from Seroquel with Dementia.   In fact, like your father's case, I have seen more harm than good.  I would suggest Buspar ...but, please check with his physician as to the appropriateness of this....it is a horrible disease and one that is unique to each individual.

With Best Regards,

Michalene Peticca, MA

Alzheimer`s Disease

Michalene Peticca