Alzheimer`s Disease/Depression with Alzheimers

Question
What do you think are the possible reasons that people with Alzheimers develop depression? Just curious.

Answer
Hi Brooke-
I don't really have the expertise to answer your question.  However, since my wife suffered from AD for many years and she had an anxiety/depression problem, I can tell you that she had symptoms  of anxiety/depression prior to the onset of her AD.  From what I have read, this is quite common.  As far as developing depression following a diagnosis of AD is concerned, one would anticipate such a reaction to occur in many cases, particularly if the individual has some understanding of the difficulties they will encounter as their disease progresses.

Alzheimer`s Disease

Peter Winkler