Alzheimer`s Disease/Depression with Alzheimers

Question
What do you think are the possible reasons that someone with Alzheimers might develop depression?

Answer
Brooke,
Usually people have depression before the diagnosis. That being said, depending on the stage of the disease, being told one has AD is pretty depressing! People with dementia can also be reacting to anything that is going on around them. So if a spouse is depressed, the patient could be depressed in reaction to the spouse.

Or they could be stuck in their mind about an event which occurred years ago, and that could cause them to be depressed.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to ask again if not!

Paula

Alzheimer`s Disease

Paula Damgaard