Alzheimer`s Disease/hallucinations

Hello Cindy You  have been very helpful with all your information Will my dad is 93 years old is bedridden He has a chronic Inflammation  Demylating Poly Neuropathy His mind was sharp I n the past 6 months or so He has been having hallucinations He has uti And that has clear up . He does have very bad eye sight And hearing  I have read about Charles Bonnet Syndrome They have done all kinds of blood work And taking him off some of his med See if that causing it  Will i just wonder if it could be start of dementia He doesn't get much stimulation Since he is bedridden He does the best he can do He does have congestive heart failure And is on lasix Will all this is I'm sure age related But we and the doctors are trying to figure about these hallcnations I beleive he got sundown syndrome too He doesn't sleep much Could that cause it Will i think they put him on low dose of dementia medicine  He roomate passed away about month ago And he in the room by  himself But he was doing this before that happen I read too where this could been nerogical And with his neurpathy But dementia is nerogical  Will any information Would be helpful Thank you Carolyn

Hello Carolyn:  Thank you for your kind words--I'm glad you are finding some information helpful.  I don't know anything about this Charles Bonnet Syndrome, but with all of his medical issues, it's not at all surprising to me that he's having neurological issues as well.  I think your best source for information would be to sit down with one or more of his doctors and ask that list of questions and don't leave until you get some answers.  They are the people in the best position to answer your questions.  Certainly any infection (like the UTI) will cause him to be confused and could cause other symptoms as well--everyone is different.  I think it's a good thing to try to cut some of the meds out, so I'm hoping that may help him.  You and your family can try to keep him stimulated in any way you can--can he hear better with headphones?  If so, try books on tape, as well as bringing in his favorite music.  Check into some hearing aides--not the ones you put into the ear, but rather an amplifier type (about the size of a pack of playing cards) that has ear buds you put in and it can really help him hear when people are speaking.  I wish you much luck Carolyn.  Cindy

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner

As a nurse and dementia consultant, I can answer most questions on all types of dementia. If I cannot answer your question, I will attempt to find someone who can. My passion is to help caregivers of people with dementia, which in turn helps all those wonderful elders with dementia live better lives. When caregivers are better educated, they are able to better care for themselves and their loved ones, so education is key to decreased stress levels and healthier, happier families.

I have worked as a nurse in various disciplines of nursing for over 20 years, most of which was with the elderly. I was a health care coordinator in a dementia dedicated assisted living facility for 4 years before I started my own business (M.I.N.D. in Memory Care) as a dementia consultant six years ago. As a dementia consultant, I help families nationwide through phone conference calls as they struggle to care for their loved ones with dementia.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Geriatric Interest Network Sigma Theta Tau International

Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem - Caregiver Survival Manual For Living With A Person With Dementia" which is a collection of stories about people with dementia I have known, loved and worked with. Every story has a lesson to teach and this book gently teaches family caregivers lessons about how to better care for their loved one, as well as themselves during their caregiving journey. Published "Love, Laughter, & Mayhem In Eldercare Facilities: The Master Key For Dementia Training" Created "Bringing Nurturing To Memory Care" staff dementia training video Created Ebook: "Hair Stylist's Helpful Tips For Working With People With Alzheimer's & Other Dementias"

Registered Nurse with Bachelor's degree in Nursing; Certified Dementia Practitioner; Author of 2 books and an ebook

Sigma Theta Tau National Honor Society of Nursing