Alzheimer`s Disease/dementia

Question
my mum has not eaten much since sunday 22/8/2016 and has now stopped drinking tea which she dearly loved she took a tumble whilst out with my dad.She has so I have been told refused food saying she will make herself something later which she doesn't.She refuses to see a doctor but I have insisted they call one to check her over do you think she is starting to decline and maybe heading to end of life situation?

Answer
Hello Anthony:  I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's decline and I'm sure you're very worried about it.  A major change in dietary habits with weight loss could mean some type of dementia, but it could also signal metabolic issues, a tumor, or some other potentially fixable problem.  This is why it's so important that you convince your dad to get her to the doctor.  If the situation continues, and she doesn't get diagnosed, then eventually she will lose enough weight and become dehydrated as well, which could lead to a fall, or an end of life situation--however, that could take months to years, depending on the underlying cause for the issues. For her sake, and for the family, I hope you continue to press for her to be evaluated and I wish you much luck as you try to discover the reasons for her troubling changes.  Cindy Keith  

Alzheimer`s Disease

Cindy Keith, RN, BS, Certified Dementia Practitioner