American Motors/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
how to tell the difference between#1 compresstion rings2/19/2011Kevin Pilotte
  Q: how do i tell the difference between the top and the #2 compressyion rings they got mixed up they ...
  A: The top two grooves are the same size. Usually, the #2 ring has a bevel which faces downward ...
1965 Marlin2/14/2011Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Kevin, just purchased a survivor Marlin with a 287 automatic. Car is out of Arizona and in very ...
  A: The AMC 287 & 327 are identical engines, with the exception of the CID. The 327 AMC engine will drop ...
brake lights2/2/2011Kevin Pilotte
  Q: turn signals , marker lights , and dash note lights don't work neither does the gas gauge or temp ...
  A: Sorry, I do not have a wiring diagram for your 66 Ambassador, try to find one. There is a CVR ...
Neutral safety and B/U switch for saginaw column2/2/2011Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Kevin, I am in the process of installing a small block Chevy and TH 350 in my 84 CJ7 which was ...
  A: I think the easiest thing for you to do is visit your local salvage yard and find a GM vehicle with ...
1964 Rambler Classic 77012/7/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I can't figure out how to remove the rear drum on my '64 Classic 770. It has a leaking wheel ...
  A: The drum is probably rusted to the axle hub. Saturate the area where the drum & hub meet (right in ...
tech manuals9/25/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: My son and I (he's 16) just bought a 1964 AMC Rambler 330. We had the brakes redone by a local ...
  A: Here's a 66 Rambler American repair manual that you will find helpful: ...
63' Classic 770 Steering9/24/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: What you described sounds close to the problem I have with one exception. The slop in the system is ...
  A: The "ram" is called the steering gear box. It would be best to just replace the complete steering ...
Steering bushing for 1963 Classic 7709/24/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a 63' Classic 770(287 w/TorqueFlite 727) that I'm having steering issues with. It's got power ...
  A: What you are describing sounds like the pittman arm mounted on the steering sector shaft. Do you ...
Pacer Engine Noise9/17/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a 1975 Pacer with the 258 I6. The engine has 244,989 miles on it (un- rebuilt) and it has a ...
  A: It is possible the lifters are noisy, but more likely the rocker arms and rocker arm bridges are the ...
1978 amc amx9/15/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: .ive found a 1978 amx..the engine compartment sticker say its a 304..the owner says its the real ...
  A: I don't know the number of units made, though I am sure that could be located online. As for the ...
69 rambler9/15/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Hey Kevin, just trying to see if someone can help me out..there's a 69 rambler near me for 3k that ...
  A: If the car is in very good shape, it might be OK. I would suggest having a qualified technician ...
78 CJ w AMC 3049/7/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have an original 78 CJ w the AMC 304. I would like greater performance and am considering porting ...
  A: Don't know how much more power you want from your 304, but porting & polishing the heads and ...
Exhaust system 4 max torque2/26/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I've got a J10 with rebuilt 60 over 360. Runs great now w/500 2bbl and stock iron exhaust and ...
  A: The longer hedders will give you more torque, but with the layout underneath, you might consider ...
oil pan removal2/22/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: how do i remove the oil pan from my 1963 rambler 287 v8
  A: Gain access to the pan by: 1) Removing the engine 2) Dropping the front crossmember and suspension ...
1974 360 Javelin broken teeth on flexplate2/20/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Think that I put the distributor in 180 out. Turned engine over, backfired while starter was ...
  A: If it has been sitting for 4 years and you would like to do some performance modifications, I would ...
65 rambler 330 rear end2/20/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: i have a 1965 rambler 330 2 door and would like to know what rear end is in the car and how strong ...
  A: It has a 7 9/16" ring gear, not very strong or desireable; especially for a small block Chevy. The ...
Pacer Problem2/19/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a 1975 Pacer with a 4.2 258 I6. Recently the car has been bucking at low RPM. Recently all ...
  A: A weak ignition coil will usually show bad when under load, as during hard acceleration. The most ...
points to electronic distributor2/18/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I was wondering if there is a conversion to change from a points distributor to a electronic,I ...
  A: I do not know if this conversion kit will fit a Prestolite distributor, but you can ask the company. ...
hei2/13/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I just put a hei distributor in amc 360 in 76 cj5. the vacuum advance is in the way of power ...
  A: What you are doing is changing the position of cylinder #1 on the distrbutor cap. This will allow ...
headlight remove & replace2/9/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: What is the best way to install a headlight switch in a 70 AMX. Is it necessary to remove the upper ...
  A: Locate the switch behind the dash. Depress the release button while pulling out on the knob. Once ...
ignition2/5/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: i have a 74 amc matador 304, the problem is that when i crank over the car it will only run when its ...
  A: I've attached a page from the repair manual, along with a link to the second page. Follow the ...
1978 Jeep CJ71/29/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a problem after replacing the ENTIRE fuel system on my 1978 Jeep CJ7 V8 304 I now thing I ...
  A: The eccentric is located on the front of the camshaft and is the same for all AMC V-8 engines from ...
what is the tube coming off my valve cover for1/20/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: hay Kevin thanks for the wire diagram. Everything worked out great. So my question for you this time ...
  A: You are correct. The hole in the valve cover is for a crankcase breather. It must be there to allow ...
1976 DJ5 Jeep Wiper Blades1/18/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I am looking for replacement blades for my RHD mail jeep. The ones on it are 11 inches long. Any ...
  A: The best I can recommend is bring your blades to your local NAPA auto parts store and try to match ...
2007 Ford Focus Coolant1/17/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: The coolant appears low. Manual says to add 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water. Also ...
  A: There is two ways of doing it. 1) Buy a gallon of QUALITY coolant/antifreeze. Mix it 50/50 with ...
wire diagram for amc javelin 3041/15/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: so heres the problem or the question for that matter. I'm wondering if you have a picture of a wire ...
  A: I've attached a copy from an AMC repair manual showing the location of the spark plug wires. If you ...
1964 Rambler classic1/9/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: My car has the 287 V-8 w/flashomatic trans.How feasable is trading out to a small block chevy & ...
  A: How feasable is subjective. If you have the money and time, anything is possible. It is NOT a simple ...
Pacer Won't Start1/8/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a 1975 Pacer with the 4.2L 258 I6 and a three speed manual with overdrive. The car had been ...
  A: Three things are necessary to get your Pacer running, and they must occur in the proper order. 1) ...
amc pacer front disc brake conversion1/7/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a 1953 Chevy pickup with a AMC pacer front end. I thought it was a 1978 but through my ...
  A: Pacer front ends were the same from 75 up. They did, however, use different make calipers. 75-76 ...
bulb replacement question?1/2/2010Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Question The small bulbs on my speedomoter and tacometer went out and I have removed the instrument ...
  A: I do not have a listing for the bulbs on later model vehicles. You should, however, be able to bring ...
64 amc rambler ambassador 990 H12/31/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have my hands on a 64 amc rambler ambassador 990 H it is overall great condition. The engine is ...
  A: Installing any engine besides the original 327 AMC will require modification. Besides, the AMC is ...
65 Rambler american instrument cluster removal.12/30/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: What do I have to do to remove the instrument cluster on my 65 Rambler American so I can replace the ...
  A: You should be able to remove a few phillip head screws and pop the instrument cluster out. Place a ...
just bought a 1964 amc rambler classic12/25/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: vin# is G540183, on engine block # j173, 3168465, I understand its a 6 cyl the engine runs well but ...
  A: I don't understand what your quesiion is. Is there currently an oil filter on the engine? It should ...
1960 rambler super12/19/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: it looks like something from the manifold to the carb is missing.A small tube with threaded ends if ...
  A: What you describe sounds like the choke heat tube. Its job is to provide heated air to the automatic ...
broken pipe where oil dip stick goes on 304 amc12/18/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: So here it is i have a 1970 amc javelin with a 304. Somehow the pipe where oil dip stick goes broke ...
  A: I have experienced the same thing. Unfortunately, your engine is in the car. Try using an E-Z out ...
starter motor AMC Hornet 232-197712/11/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I have a Hornet 1977, engine 232, 6L.The starter donīt work perfect, several times I have to turn ...
  A: It sounds as though the flywheel has damaged teeth on the gear. This is not uncommon. I do not know ...
classic 55012/9/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: since my Rambler has only 38k miles since 1964 should I repaint it? because it runs like new and ...
  A: It depends on whether you want to keep it original or not. An original paint job will make the car ...
1976 amc 304 distributor timing12/3/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: I just bought a 76 cj5 with 304 and a howell tbi kit installed by previous owner. my question is, ...
  A: Check the firing order. It should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Also, the engine can pop like you describe if a ...
oil pan removal12/1/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Hey Kevin i have a 1960 american with a flat six. One of my piston rods may be broken and who knows ...
  A: No. I have attached a page from the repair manual on oil pan removal. If all of the bolts are out, ...
1959 instrument clustrer11/30/2009Kevin Pilotte
  Q: Can you describe what is necessary to change out the temp gauge on my 59 custom. I have checked all ...
  A: You will have to remove the instrument cluster. Remove the circuit board on the back of the cluster ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

American Motors

Kevin Pilotte

Top Expert on this page