Anabaptist/Gay Marriage

Question
What do American Anabaptist's think about gay or same-sex marriage?

Answer
Greetings! I am sorry if this seems like a diversion from the specific question, but please bear with me. The question fits into a much larger scenario, because it focuses on one factor within a much larger paradigm; it is to ask one question about one event, which falls under the same generic umbrella of many social or cultural ideals. This answer will also answer many other similar questions. Humans tend to view life through whatever filter they are enculturated by; tainted further by the source of their needs and wants (God or mammon). Therefore, it is a topic or a debate that begins and ends within the realm of the worldly; the masses who have not (yet) been radically, spiritually converted. The rules for the secular masses (the vast majority of humanity) differ widely from the rules of those dedicated to Kingdom living.

For this you know; that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things comes the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not therefore, partakers with them. For you were sometimes darkness, but now are you light in the Lord: walk as children of light: For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth: Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them: For it is a shame even to speak of those things that are done of them in secret . But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever does make manifest, is light. Therefore he says: Awake, you that sleep, and arise from the dead and Christ shall give you light. See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore you be not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. Ephesians 5:5-17

Yahweh allows all evil to exist; to manifest; to run its course. It is not our duty, while on Earth, to try to stop it, but rather, to try to stay out of its way. It does little good to try to fight against social (or political) injustices, while in the midst of profound evil and corruption. Only the volition of each individual can turn to their Creator, or not to turn (2 Peter 2). Yahweh did not send missionaries into Sodom Metro to try to set up a church, or to protest the social or political injustices that came from the inherent evil of the masses; instead, Yahweh allowed time for the righteous to escape and then utterly destroyed everyone else, including by the way, Lot's wife, from outside the original destruction zone (Genesis 19). She looked back, which symbolized her desire for that life and that lifestyle, which Yahweh was to terminate on that day. As we know; this weeding did not stop evils infestation (Exodus 12).

This is the sober lesson we learn from the event. We not only move away from evil (we surely do that), we do not even look back upon it; we do not speak of it. This is not denial, for we are painfully aware of the war going on, just outside our doors. Instead, we (proverbially) paint our doorposts with the Blood of the Lamb, and pray the evil passes us by. We are not here to judge; we are not here to try to guilt people into appropriate behavior. The purpose of this life (this experiment) is to provide a contrast; a choice, and let each individual play the hand they are dealt, volitionally. If secular people want to marry one another outside of biblical definitions, they should be allowed to because they are not under the same umbrella as are Yahweh's Elect, where marriage is indefinably (and eternally) more than a mere ceremony, certification, or a shared tax form.

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God; that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God; that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:10-13

As for Anabaptist's, I can only speak for myself; however, most do not participate in secular governmental issues, and for the same fundamental reason; we cannot end nor reduce the evil that will befall humanity, and indeed, we are actually to allow it, because Yahweh will work His will from within the storm; within the darkness; within the madness. Yahweh is building an eternal Kingdom, made up of individuals that demonstrated, during this life-experiment, their/our resolve to obey His word and to reflect the actions, the character, and the nature of our Master, Yeshua the Messiah (the Lord Jesus Christ); our paradigm for living. Allowing or forbidding same-sex marriages; that is the work of the secular masses, for we who serve our Lord; we do not enable nor endorse anything that takes place in darkness; specifically, anything outside of the light of scripture as guided by the Indwelling Holy Spirit. Our goal is to Love and to serve those who are committed to our Lord, and to pray for those who oppose our Lord in word and in deed. Furthermore:

No man, when he has lit a candle, puts it in a secret place, neither under a bushel; but on a candlestick, that they that come in may see the light. The light of the body is the eye: therefore when your eye is single, your whole body also is full of light; but when your eye is evil, your body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light, which is in you, be not darkness. If your whole body therefore were full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle gives you light. Luke 11:33-36

This then is the message, which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship, one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleans us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. He that says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that Loves his brother abides in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hates his brother is in darkness, and walks in darkness, and knows not where he goes, because that darkness has blinded his eyes. 1 John 1:5-10; 2:9-11

Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers: For what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what concord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has he that believes, with an infidel? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the Living God, as God has said: "I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people"! Therefore, come out from among them, and you, be separate says the Lord, and do not touch unclean things; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty. 2 Co 6:14-18

What if two heterosexual men or two heterosexual women wanted to get married? Is this OK? Is marriage only defined by coitus? Cannot two heterosexual people who love one another get married and be sexually abstinent? Indeed, we open a proverbial can of worms when we step outside the confines of biblical reality, and make marriage a sociocultural, rather than a spiritual reality. If marriage is only a legal proceeding (documentation); if it is only a celebration (wedding); why then would it matter who marries who? If a couple is not marrying as unto the Lord (based on scriptural paradigms), why bother getting married at all? Marriage, from a Christ-centric perspective, is only about obedience unto Christ; it is akin to baptism: why would a non-Christian care about getting baptized? Secular marriage is really, not about marriage at all; it is about social acceptance; it is about fairness. The child rants: those kids get to do it, so why canít I?

Conclusion: I think this is really what is happening here: immaturity coupled with the hunger for acceptance: Same-sex marriage validates the relationship socially and publicly. Those who truly believe in Marriage do not believe in divorce!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

Anabaptist

Paul Andrew Anderson