Ancient/Classical History/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Horse training in ancient greece3/25/2017Maria
  Q: In what respective private, public or government buildings/areas did Greeks train their horses for: ...
  A: sorry, but it is superfluous that I answer such a question whose subjects you can find fully-treated ...
Grammarians11/28/2016Maria
  Q: Latin Grammarian Dear Maria, I want to ask, in the Greco-Roman world, was there really a sort of ...
  A: First of all the reason why Latin is so complicated is not “because it is a language created by ...
Helvidius priscus of Rome9/29/2016Maria
  Q: I am trying to discover the approximate year (if known) that Helvidius Priscus married his second ...
  A: I think that, when the Oxford Classical dictionary says that "about 55" Helvidius Priscus married ...
ancient Roman nomenclature9/21/2016Maria
  Q: I have been reading about how first century Roman families named their offspring (both male and ...
  A: First of all I have to point out that every member of the Roman families had “tria nomina” (tree ...
question8/4/2016Alex Gorecki
  Q: good day throughout history value have differed. For example today oil is valuable while centuries ...
  A: When it comes to what was valuable when, well that is mostly out of my expertise, but I do know some ...
The First Year of the Latin Language7/1/2016Maria
  Q: The Latin language has always been connected with the Rome republic or empire. But is there a ...
  A: It is correct that “at around 400 BC, Latin is still a minor language that cannot be compared with ...
Historical Art4/27/2016Irulan Serena
  Q: It seems that many early works of art, like religious paintings, were made long after the event ...
  A: No we dont ... what remains are secondary sources, that is retelling of events by persons who ...
Leonardo Da Vinci12/14/2015Maria
  Q: Was Leonardo Da Vinci's first painting experience with Verrocchio as he helped paint The Baptism Of ...
  A: Leonardo Da Vinci's first painting experience was just with Andrea del Verrocchio, whose workshop ...
The History of Latin9/1/2015Maria
  Q: I am a student from Taiwan, And recently I am trying to write a paper on the history of Latin. I am ...
  A: first of all the Roman Empire and the Latin language form a whole since Latin was the language of ...
ancient Roman law7/6/2015Maria
  Q: I'm trying to find out more information about the ancient Roman law which stated that, if a slave ...
  A: first of all I have to tell you that the ancient Roman law which stated that, if a slave murdered ...
ancient Greek and Roman maritime attire5/7/2015Maria
  Q: I have tried unsuccessfully to discover what type of clothing sailors or laboring crew members would ...
  A: As far as we know, the sailors working on ancient Greek and Roman merchant ships around AD 50 wore ...
Greco-Roman Journeyman2/26/2015Maria
  Q: Did the Greek guild or Roman collegia craft systems have the Journeyman status or was it a Medieval ...
  A: Actually there is no direct evidence for the existence of permanent associations of craftsmen in ...
The Lost City of Atlantis12/17/2014Maria
  Q: If you believe that the beautiful utopia called Atlantis that Plato described is real, where do you ...
  A: I really do not believe that the island of Atlantis (Greek, ...
Jesus Christ10/31/2014Alex Gorecki
  Q: I have heard that long ago in the past people didn't have last names. So why is Jesus called Jesus ...
  A: J., Thank you for this question. As far as I know, the use of commonly past down surnames did not ...
Greek history10/6/2014Maria
  Q: Is there any physical proof of this battle exists .There have been many ship wrecks settled at that ...
  A: the Battle of Salamis, the first great naval battle recorded in history, was really fought in ...
Greeks History9/28/2014Maria
  Q: I want to know about the Alexander invasion on subcontinent,what were the circumstances which led ...
  A: in short here are the reasons that led Alexander to invade the Indian sucontinent in spring 326 BC, ...
Greek history9/18/2014Maria
  Q: What was the role of women in the State of Sparta ans Athena? How do they differ in their daily life ...
  A: In the ancient city-states Athens and Sparta women had very limited freedom outside the home, as in ...
Jesus9/10/2014Maria
  Q: I am really just interested in history, especially Ancient Greece! But I have also come across the ...
  A: in my opinion, Jesus is a historical personage who definitely lived and was crucified in Judea, ...
Roman architects and engineers.7/6/2014Maria
  Q: I was wondering where all those famous Roman architects and engineers were formed. As far as I know, ...
  A: though Roman architecture and engineering fall outside my area of expertise which is Roman ...
The number 125/8/2014Maria
  Q: I have a question that i would love an answer for. why are the romans so attracted to the number 12? ...
  A: actually the Romans were not so attracted by the number 12, since for example they had 7 kings ...
Vesuvius, Pompeii3/29/2014Maria
  Q: I am writing a story about Pompeii during the time of Vesuvius' eruption. After vesuvius started ...
  A: After Mount Vesuvius started smoking on August 24, 79 AD, about one in the afternoon (Latin,"Nonum ...
ancient Greek and Latin language3/13/2014Maria
  Q: I have two questions: Can you tell me the ancient Greek equivalent to the Latin term of endearment ...
  A: I’m sorry, but I have to tell you that AllExperts policy states that each category has its specific ...
Ancient Sparta2/8/2014Maria
  Q: My name is Raymond. I'm in 5th grade and I'm 11 years old. This year, I'm studying Sparta and its ...
  A: here are my answers: -1st“why Sparta is still important to us?” ANSWER: Sparta is important simply ...
frescos in Pompeii2/7/2014Maria
  Q: My question is this, what are the physical dimensions of the fresco from the house of Meleager in ...
  A: here are the physical dimensions of the fresco from the House of Meleager in Pompeii named "Forsaken ...
Roman history - city prefect Pedanius Secundus' slaves11/13/2013Maria
  Q: I read a brief account of the decision to execute Pedanius Secundus' 400 slaves after one of them ...
  A: first of all,to briefly answer your questions, before I tell you more about the decision to execute ...
ancient Greek name11/8/2013Maria
  Q: Hey Maria, thank's for taking the time, Q: I was recently reading about the ancient Greeks seems ...
  A: I'm sorry, but in ancient Greek there is no hero whose name was Creed. In ancient Greek in fact ...
History Help And Comprending it Too.!!10/2/2013Maria
  Q: What was the purpose of roman bath? Was it the same for the poor and rich? During Ancient Rome?
  A: the purpose of Roman baths (“balnea” or “thermae” in Latin) that have existed in Roman life since ...
Alexander the Great9/15/2013Maria
  Q: (1) Is it true that Alexander the Great had a daughter by Roxana of Bactria and that this daughter ...
  A: actually Alexander the Great had a son by his first wife Roxana, the daughter of the Bactrian chief ...
the character "C"7/3/2013Maria
  Q: I visited some ancient Greek carvings and mosaics that used this character in certain words (that ...
  A: the ancient Greek letter “C”, used in some carvings and mosaics as well as in some editions of ...
Ancient Roman families4/11/2013Maria
  Q: I learnt some culture of roman empire from class and books. However, I am wondering why the family ...
  A: the family structure of ancient Rome was really valuable as well as the other charateristics of the ...
ancient olympics3/21/2013Maria
  Q: who were the ancient Olympics held in honor of?
  A: the Olympic Games (Ancient Greek: τὰ Ὀλύμπια ...
Collapse of the Roman Empire3/10/2013Maria
  Q: What became of the Roman people in the years following the fall of Rome in A.D. 476? Did they flee? ...
  A: in the years following the fall of Western Roman Empire in A.D. 476 when Rome lost its role of ...
Horses in battle3/3/2013Maria
  Q: This is maybe not your field but I was wondering. My understanding of horses being widely introduced ...
  A: as far as we know, horses in warfare were in use in Sumerian in the Bronze Age when there were two ...
Sparta and Samos2/18/2013Maria
  Q: By an extraordinary coincidence today I found a book - in Spanish - author William Macomber: ...
  A: I am now able to help you with the name of the Greek historian that quotes a passage regarding a ...
Mespotamia2/15/2013Hank Hokamp
  Q: i have a project to do and i need help. Im doing a project on 3 inventions made by Mespotamia. I ...
  A: Great subject, Paige: Kids in Mesopotamia played with much of the same kinds of basic toys ...
Romans citizens2/9/2013Maria
  Q: How did Romans prove their citizenship in ancient Rome?
  A: as far as we know, the ancient Romans proved their citizenship (Latin, “Ius civitatis” = right of ...
roman myths1/20/2013Hank Hokamp
  Q: i am extremely interested in Olympus home of the gods yet i struggle to find any information. how ...
  A: The Olympians, my friend, are a group of 12 gods who ruled after the overthrow of the Titans. All ...
Sacred prostitutes1/4/2013Hank Hokamp
  Q: Herodotus talks about "sacred prostitutes" in Babylon. He mentions in his "Histories" that unmarried ...
  A: Good Morning, Geoff. I'm scratching my head! Here are a few excerpts: "The Sacred Prostitute ...
Coin12/12/2012Maria
  Q: I have a Roman Empire coin & I would like some information about the year & the name of the emperor ...
  A: As far as it’s possible to see on this coin, the emperor is ARCADIUS, aka FLAVIUS ARCADIUS, the ...
A question of Greek10/24/2012Maria
  Q: What is the Greek word used for the Roman military unit named "century" which in the early empire ...
  A: the ancient Greek word used for the Roman military unit named "century" is ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Ancient/Classical History

Maria

Top Expert on this page