Ancient/Classical History/Coin

Question
Coin Identification
Coin Identification  

Coin Identification
Coin Identification  
Hello,
     I have a Roman Empire coin & I would like some information about the year & the name of the emperor on the coin. Thanks & Merry-Christmas.
Regards
Percy

Answer
Hello

As far as itís possible to see on this coin, the emperor is ARCADIUS, aka FLAVIUS ARCADIUS, the Eastern Roman Emperor, i.e. Byzantine Emperor from 395 until his death in 408 in Constantinople (aka Byzantium, today Istanbul,Turkey).

Arcadius was the eldest son of the Roman emperor Theodosius I and  brother of the Western Roman Emperor Honorius.

Theodosius in fact was the last emperor to rule over both the eastern and the western halves of the Roman Empire, since after his death, his sons Arcadius and Honorius inherited the East and West halves respectively, and the Roman Empire was never again re-united.
The Western Roman Empire fell in 476 AD, whereas the Eastern Roman Empire, aka Byzantine Empire, fell in 1453 when Constantinople (aka Byzantium) was conquered by the Ottomans Turks.

Such a coin seems to be minted between 383 and 388 AD.

Best regards & Merry Christmas,
Maria

Ancient/Classical History

Maria