Ancient/Classical History/ancient olympics

who were the ancient Olympics held in honor of?

the Olympic Games (Ancient Greek: τὰ Ὀλύμπια transliterated as  "Ta Olympia" = the Olympics), the most famous  of all the games held throughout Greece, were held in honour of the king of the gods Zeus at Olympia  in the northwestern Peloponnese, where the statue of Zeus  by the Greek sculptor Phidias  was counted as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

Such a statue, almost 12 m  high and plated with gold and ivory, was  placed in the  Temple of Zeus at Olympia  and  represented the god sitting on an elaborate cedarwood throne ornamented with ebony, ivory, gold, and precious stones. On his outstretched right hand was a statue of Nike (Victory), and in the godís left hand was a sceptre on which an eagle was perched.

The ancient Olympics  were  held every four years between August 6 and September 19 and occupied such an important place in Greek history that in late antiquity historians measured time by the interval between them.

Historical records indicate that they began in 776 BC for the first Olympic champion listed in the records was Coroebus of Elis, a cook or a baker, who won the sprint race just in 776 BC.

According to one legend, the Games were founded by  the most famous Greek  legendary hero Heracles, son of Zeus and Alcmene.

The Olympics   continued to be celebrated when Greece came under Roman rule, until the Roman emperor Theodosius I suppressed them in 394 AD.

Best regards,

Ancient/Classical History

My field of expertise is Ancient Greek and Roman History.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: