Ancient/Classical History/Alexander the Great

(1) Is it true that Alexander the Great had a daughter by Roxana of Bactria and that this daughter married Achaeus I 'the Elder', Seleucid prince of Syria, and son of Seleucus I 'Nicator'?

(2) Which is correct - Macedon or Macedonia?

actually Alexander the Great had a son by his first wife Roxana, the daughter of the Bactrian chief Oxyartes, NOT a daughter.

This Alexander’s posthumous son by Roxana, that he had married in 327 BC, Alexander IV Aegus, was born in 323 BC, a few months after  Alexander’s sudden death at Babylon just in 323 BC.

Alexander IV Aegus was accepted by the Macedonian generals as co-ruler with Alexander the Great's half-brother Philip III Arrhidaeus.
So, in 319 BC Roxane joined Alexander the Great’s mother, Olympias, in Epirus, but then was captured by one of Alexander the Great's successors, Cassander, who had Roxane and her son killed in 310-309 BC, since Alexander IV Aegus was the legitimate heir to the Alexandrian empire.

Please note that no historical primary source tells of a daughter of Alexander the Great, while we know that, apart from the son by Roxana(also spelled Roxane), Alexander likely had in 327 BC an illegitimate son, named Herakles, by his mistress Barsine, daughter of the satrap Artabazus of Phrygia.

Moreover we know that Alexander the Great didn’t even have  any children by his second wife Stateira, the daughter of the king  Darius III of Persia, nor by his third wife Parysatis, the youngest daughter of Artaxerxes III of Persia.

According to the historian Arrian of Nicomedia who wrote the "Anabasis of Alexander", both Stateira and  Parysatis married Alexander the Great on the same day in 324 BC in a mass ceremony known as The Susa weddings

After Alexander's death in 323 BC, Roxana murdered Alexander's other widows, Stateira and  Parysatis.

As for the terms “ Macedon”  and “Macedonia”, the former  derives  from the Greek adjective Μακεδών, transliterated as “Macedon”/”Makedon”,the latter from  the country name Μακεδονία, transliterated as “Macedonia”/”Makedonia”, and thus both Macedonia or Macedon are the English name of the ancient kingdom  at the periphery of  ancient Greece.
In fact Alexander the Great is also known as Alexander III of Macedon or Alexander III of Macedonia.

Best regards,

Ancient/Classical History

My field of expertise is Ancient Greek and Roman History.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: