Ancient/Classical History/Greek history

What was the role of women in the State of Sparta ans Athena? How do they differ in their daily life routines? Kindly mention any remaining tribe found in Greek following those days customs pl?

In the ancient city-states Athens and Sparta women had very limited freedom outside the home, as in their home only, Athenian and Spartan women, like other Greek women, were in charge. Their job was to run the house and to bear children, so that their lives were centred on the home. Anyway, they could attend weddings, sacred processions, funerals, some religious festivals, and could visit female  neighbours for brief periods of time.

As for property rights, in Athens  women were  restricted also in their property rights, since they could own no property apart from the family, whereas in Sparta women could own land privately (see Aristotle, Politics, Book 2 , section 1270a).

In short, while until modern times most women possessed relatively few formal rights, the women
of ancient Sparta were a striking exception, because, although they could not vote, Spartan women reportedly owned 40 percent of Sparta’s agricultural land, and enjoyed other rights that were equally extraordinary such as more freedoms and responsibilities in public life,since  Spartan women, differently from the Athenian women, were able to go out in public unescorted and participate in athletic contests.
In short, Spartan women were free to move around, and visit neighbors without permission, differently from Athenian women.

With regard to women's daily life in ancient Athens and Sparta, please note that a respectable woman’s main role in ancient Athens was to stay home, keep pretty, and bear children. Her life centred on the house and the children. In the household, Athenian women lived away from men. In two-storey houses, men entertained and ate downstairs, while women were restricted to the upstairs area.

But in Sparta women were much more free than Athenian women.
Spartan women were raised with the same ideals of service to the state as their male counterparts so that, although women did not serve in the army, they took a lot of interest in the soldiers and their campaigns.
Spartan women aimed to be physically strong companions for their husbands and to raise strong, healthy boys to be brave soldiers. Therefore Spartan women shocked foreign visitors by training in athletics and wearing short dresses, showing their legs in public.
Spinning and weaving were considered activities for slaves, not for Spartan women.
Perfumes, jewellery and cosmetics were forbidden and Spartan women, differently from the Athenian women, were not allowed to wear fine, expensive clothes or elaborate hairstyles.

Finally, as for your question about  any remaining Greek tribe following those days customs, I have to point out that in modern Greece as well as all over Europe there is obviously no tribe that follows those archaic customs which date back to ancient times when women’s freedom was  unjustly wiolated.

Best regards,

Ancient/Classical History

My field of expertise is Ancient Greek and Roman History.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: