Ancient/Classical History/Greeks History

Hello Maria
I want to know about the Alexander invasion on subcontinent,what were the circumstances which led him to invade and why did he deal strangely with Porous ? I cant understand the reasons for his attack .

in short here are the reasons that led Alexander to invade the Indian sucontinent in spring 326 BC, after he left Bactria [ancient country lying between the mountains of the Hindu Kush and the Amu Darya (ancient Oxus River) in what is now part of Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan, where Darius III, the last king of the Achaemenid dynasty in Persia, had been killed in 330 BC by the Bactrian satrap Bessus] and had entered Taxila (Takshaçila,today an important archaeological site in Rawalpindi district of the Punjab province in Pakistan):

1)Alexander aimed at further expanding his empire, after he had defeated king Darius III at Issus in 333 BC and had occupied the whole Persian empire which reached just the Indus valley.   

2)Alexander loved the myth of Dionysus, the great Olympian god of wine and ecstasy, pleasure and festivity, who was “the first to invade India”, as we read in Pausanias, Description of Greece 10. 29. 4.(See also Strabo, Geography 11. 5. 5) and then he would like to follow Dionysus' example and then invade India.

As for Porus, the Indian prince who ruled the region between the Hydaspes (Jhelum) and Acesines (Chenab) rivers ( in modern-day Punjab, Pakistan), he  resisted Alexander, unlike his neighbour, Ambhi, the king of Taxila, and then met Alexander the Great at the Battle of the Hydaspes River, in June 326 B.C. Anyway, with his elephants and slow-moving infantry bunched, he was outmatched by Alexander’s mobile cavalry and mounted archers.
Impressed by his techniques, Alexander allowed him to retain his kingdom and perhaps even ceded some conquered areas to him. Thereafter as  a supporter of Alexander, Porus held the position of a  subordinate ruler until he was assassinated, sometime between 321 and 315 BC, by Eudemus, one of Alexander’s generals, after the death of Alexander.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Ancient/Classical History

My field of expertise is Ancient Greek and Roman History.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: