Ancient/Classical History/Leonardo Da Vinci

Was Leonardo Da Vinci's first painting experience with Verrocchio as he helped paint The Baptism Of Christ?

Leonardo Da Vinci's first painting experience  was just with Andrea del Verrocchio, whose  workshop was one of the finest in Florence.

In 1466 or in 1469/1470 , in fact, at the age of fourteen or seventeen, Leonardo was apprenticed as a “garzone di bottega” (studio boy ) to Verrocchio whom he helped paint “The Baptism Of Christ” (Oil and tempera on poplar panel), now in the Uffizi Gallery at Florence.

In this  painting,  which dates back to 1474-1475 and was painted in conjunction with Verrocchio, Leonardo painted the angel on the left and the part of the background above, as we read in Giorgio Vasari, the 16th-century biographer of Renaissance painters, who in his “Le Vite de' più eccellenti pittori, scultori, ed architettori“ (Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects), considered the first art-historical writing, tells also that Andrea Verrocchio resolved never to touch the brush again because Leonardo, his pupil, had far surpassed him, but later critics consider this story apocryphal.

Moreover  in "The Baptism Of Christ" we can see the first signs of the famous “sfumato” style, typical of Leonardo da Vinci  who described the “sfumato”  as "without lines or borders, in the manner of smoke or beyond the focus plane".

Best regards,

Ancient/Classical History

My field of expertise is Ancient Greek and Roman History.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: