Ancient Languages/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
"Know that you are loved and that you will always be loved"3/15/2017Maria
  Q: I realized that I failed to provide you with more context in my last question! I apologize. In the ...
  A: -”Scito te amari semperque amatum iri” or: -“Te amari scito semperque amatum iri” (with a ...
Fighter squadron motto3/2/2017Maria
  Q: My deceased father's fighter squadron had a motto of "Ride Nunc" which I understand to mean " Laugh ...
  A: The Latin sentence “Ride Nunc”, literally meaning “Laugh now!”, is exactly a grim motto just ...
Matthew 25.461/2/2017Maria
  Q: I'm having quite the go-around with a friend of mine about the proper translation of Matthew 25:46: ...
  A: first of all I have to point out that I’m not interested at all in various theological assertions ...
Ancient Hebrew biblical text.12/12/2016Maria
  Q: To Maria: Could answer a question for me concerning ancient Greek syntax? Most Christians have ...
  A: first of all the fact that there are so many Scriptures which very clearly state that Jesus Christ ...
ancient Greek and Latin language12/10/2016Maria
  Q: I have just one 2-part question that I can't figure out: Was Ancient Greek the primary language of ...
  A: The Ancient Greek, aka ἡ κοινὴ ...
Translation into Latin11/24/2016Maria
  Q: what or who "blessed" refers to?" The answer is me- I am making this drawing for myself- for the ...
  A: Since you want to use such a term for yourself as a female person, here are some different ...
Latin translation11/16/2016Maria
  Q: Ive tried searching for the latin translation of one of my favorite biblical phrase, but to no ...
  A: Here are the translations that you asked me: 1.“Quae mutare non possum da mihi, Deus, accipiendi ...
ancient Greek and Roman terms of endearment10/10/2016Maria
  Q: What would have been an appropriate Latin term of endearment for a first century Roman family to use ...
  A: an appropriate Latin term of endearment for a first century Roman family to use with a ...
Ancient Greek10/1/2016Maria
  Q: September 30, 2016 AllExperts Dear Maria, I read your response to Jim on 3/23/2009 about the ...
  A: as you know, the quote "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what ...
Our journey, our moments, our live9/19/2016Maria
  Q: I'm in tended to grave some quotes for my boyfriend''s gift. Since we both like to travel, i''m ...
  A: “Our journey, our moments, our life” translates correctly into Latin as follows: “Iter nostrum, ...
Phrase from Rudyard Kipling's "If"8/9/2016Maria
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me translate a small section of Rudyard Kipling's "If" into Latin. ...
  A: “If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster/and treat those two impostors just the same…” (lines ...
Latin or Greek?7/22/2016Maria
  Q: I am curious about the phrase "temet nosce". I have heard it means "know thyself" or "know yourself" ...
  A: Both "Temet nosce" and “Nosce te ipsum” mean “Know thyself" or "Know yourself" where the pronoun ...
Gender Specific Definite Articles7/21/2016Maria
  Q: I'm discussing ancient biblical Greek with someone, and I'm wondering are the rules for the ...
  A: First of all "ὁ ἕτερος" (the other) is always referring to a ...
Translation6/23/2016Maria
  Q: I was hoping you could translate a poem into greek for me. It is my favorite poem from the movie ...
  A: Here’s the correct translation you are looking for: Ἒτι καὶ ...
English to latin6/14/2016Maria
  Q: I'm wondering if you could translate the following for me, I've recently lost my mum and we are ...
  A: “To the stars she flies with her own wings”- as the conclusion of an eulogy- translates correctly as ...
triakontaphullos6/9/2016Maria
  Q: I see there is a word in Classical Greek "triakontaphullos, meaning: "one who has never read more ...
  A: here’s the ancient Greek translation for “I am not one who has never read more than thirty pages": ...
Greek quotation5/3/2016Maria
  Q: What is the source of and an English translation of: Ότι παν ...
  A: The sentence Ὅτι πᾶν ...
Greek motto3/26/2016Maria
  Q: I'm looking to create a 'personal motto' for my friend that I use in a wall hanging project. Can you ...
  A: first of all I must start with the premise that not always it is allowed to give a literal ...
Ancient Latin translation of APOLLYON3/21/2016Maria
  Q: i wanted to know if the word Apollyon is an ancient greek word or is it a Anglicized version or ...
  A: first of all I have to tell you that the Greek name ...
translation3/14/2016Maria
  Q: I was wondering if you could give me the correct greek translation of "As far as this can reach" as ...
  A: First of all, the original words as spoken by King Agesilaus are: ἄχρις ...
curiosity3/11/2016Maria
  Q: If i am correct latin is a dead language due to the fact everyone had a different version of the ...
  A: Latin is called a "dead language" simply because it is a language that is no longer spoken by anyone ...
Latin Grammar2/22/2016Maria
  Q: about the phrase "Disce Quasi Semper Victurus, Vive Quasi Cras Moriturus" 1) Should any of the words ...
  A: in Latin you must write “Disce quasi semper victurus, vive quasi cras moriturus" meaning "Learn as ...
Question to previously asked question1/29/2016Maria
  Q: Someone asked you a question on how "Better to reign in hell, Than serve in Heaven" is translated to ...
  A: please note that “in caelum” is wrong because it would mean “toward heaven” as an indirect object of ...
Word meaning changes over time1/27/2016Maria
  Q: Maria, I stumbled upon an argument that has been festering for about 1,800 years as it relates to ...
  A: first of all the ancient Greek noun αἰών (transliterated as “aiṓn”, 3rd ...
"I am not my own."1/21/2016Maria
  Q: I have recently come across a verse from the bible that I have found rather inspiring and relevant ...
  A: it is in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 that we read the phrase “You are not your own”, which is the English ...
Hello would you be able to translate something into Latin for me?11/30/2015Maria
  Q: My fiancé wants to get rings made for us for our anniversary and he wanted to have it inscribed and ...
  A: “Until my last breath” translates as “Usque ad ultimum spiritum” or “Usque ad extremum spiritum”, ...
Art project translation help11/28/2015Maria
  Q: I am in need of the proper latin translation for "I will live and die for my family". My son as ...
  A: “I will live and die for my family” translates as follows:”Pro mea vivam familia et moriar” as well ...
Alexander the Great10/17/2015Maria
  Q: you have helped me on a number of occasions now and I wonder whether you could do once more. I am ...
  A: both “There is nothing impossible to him who will try” (loose adaptation) and “For the courageous, ...
Roosevelt quote translation to Latin10/8/2015Maria
  Q: I would like to translate a phrase into Latin from English (this is intended for a wedding present ...
  A: 'Nothing worth having comes easy' translates correctly into Latin as follows: 1)“Nihil dignum ...
Phrase Translation.9/27/2015Maria
  Q: Could you please translate the phrase “Never forget your angel.” from English to Latin for me? And ...
  A: “Never forget your angel” as a reminder to yourself and thus in the 2nd person singular translates ...
Latin translation - 'So Many Tears'9/3/2015Maria
  Q: I am interested in the Latin translation - if there is such a translation - for the phrase 'So Many ...
  A: Glad to help you again. “So many tears” translates as “Tam multae lacrimae” in the nominative case ...
Latin translation8/27/2015Maria
  Q: I have need of a translation, and I promise it's not homework or a tatoo. :) I want to honor a ...
  A: your sentence can be translated as follows: ”Nulli es in aeternum secunda, amica carissima” ...
Just some help with a quote from English to Latin7/13/2015Maria
  Q: I would like your help with a translation of a quote from the Divine Comedy. I need it for family ...
  A: first of all I have to point out that a literal tanslation of the English quote from the Divine ...
Translation7/9/2015Maria
  Q: Is it possible to covert this sentence for me please? "What you leave behind is not what is ...
  A: First of all I’d like to thank you for clarifying your thought and purpose, so that now I can give ...
Narenus7/5/2015Maria
  Q: I'm under the impression that the Latin word, "Nazarenus" equally well translates into "the ...
  A: It is so: the Latin adjective “Nazarenus” translates into “the Nazarene” as well as “of Nazareth”, ...
Latin translation...6/29/2015Maria
  Q: My motto as a student (please forgive the cursing) is "Study like hell!", and I'm trying to work out ...
  A: First of all I have to point out that it’s impossible to give you a literal translation of the ...
English to Latin Translation6/26/2015Maria
  Q: I am creating a club and I would like the motto to be, "Let it not be said we did not do great ...
  A: “Nemo dicat nos magna non fecisse” is the correct Latin translation for “Let it not be said we did ...
Eternity6/19/2015Maria
  Q: I would like to translate a phrase into Latin for an art project the phrase is: "What you do in life ...
  A: “What you do in life Echoes in Eternity” can be translated as follows: 1-“Quod in vita facis, in ...
Latin translation5/31/2015Maria
  Q: I will be getting married soon and I'm starting to write my vows. I would love to ask my bride to be ...
  A: “Visne mecum ambulare in aeternum?” is the Latin translation for "Will you walk by my side for ...
Trying to find original Greek text5/30/2015Maria
  Q: I was trying to find the original Greek text for Aristotle's "Rhetoric" with an English translation, ...
  A: Here’s the original Greek text for Aristotle's "Rhetoric", Book 2, Chapter 12, section 16 (aka 1389 ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Ancient Languages

Maria

Top Expert on this page