Ancient Languages/Latin coram Deo

Question
Maria,

I ran across the Latin phrase "coram Deo" in a book which described it as referring to the concept of "life lived always before the face of God".  This idea resonated very deeply with me, because I often struggle to live my day-to-day life conscious of the presence of God.

I've done a bit of research and know that the above "translation" includes more than "coram Deo" literally means. I'm wondering if there is another Latin word that could be added to more accurately mean "life lived always before the face of God".

Thank you for lending your expertise,
Carissa

Answer
Hello,

“Coram Deo” means exactly “In the presence of God” as well as “Before the eyes of God” or “Before the face of God”, since CORAM (preposition which takes the ablative) means “In the presence / before the eyes/ before the face/in the face”, while DEO (ablative of DEUS) means “of God”.

Anyway, if you are looking for a translation of “Life lived always before the face of God”, you can say “Vita semper coram Deo peracta” or “Coram Deo semper peracta vita” with a different word order that in Latin can be variable as Latin is an inflected language where synctactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Please read more below.
Best regards,
Maria
_______________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Life = VITA (nominative, 1st.declension)

-lived = PERACTA (nominative feminine of the past participle of PERAGO agreed with VITA)

-always =SEMPER

-before the face =CORAM (preposition which takes the ablative)

-of God = DEO (ablative of DEUS, 2nd.declension)

Ancient Languages

Maria