Ancient Languages/Latin translation

Sorry I misread your initial message. Let's try this:

"I search for enlightenment" or "I search for knowledge" or even, "I search for truth"

I didn't fully understand your reply so I will offer these as well in case they work better:

"I am searching/looking for enlightenment" or "I am searching/looking for knowledge" or "I am searching/looking for (the) truth"

Thanks again!

thanks for explaining your thought so that it is now possible to give you a correct translation of your phrases, as you can see here:

-"I search for enlightenment" or "I am searching/looking for enlightenment” = “Lucem lumenque vitae quaero” where “Lucem lumenque” is a hendiadys we read in Cicero.

-"I search for knowledge" or "I am searching/looking for knowledge”= “Rerum quaero cognitionem “

-"I search for truth" or "I am searching/looking for (the) truth"= “Verum quaero “ or “Veritatem quaero”

Please read more below where you can find a grammatical analysis.

Best regards,

-I search for / I am searching/looking for = QUAERO (1st.person singular, present indicative)

-enlightenment =LUCEM LUMENQUE VITAE.
Note that LUCEM is the accusative singular of LUX;  LUMEN is the accusative of the neuter noun LUMEN to which is attached the enclitic conjunction –QUE meaning “and”; VITAE (literally, “of life”) is the genitive of the noun VITA. In fact, since the English term “enlightenment“ means “light” not in the sense of the light of the sun or whatever, but in the sense of “what enlightens our life”, Latin uses a hendiadys, i.e. two words instead of the only one + a genitive, and say e.g. “Lucem lumenque vitae quaero”.

-I search for/ I am searching/looking for =QUAERO (see above)

-knowledge =RERUM COGNITIONEM (literally, “the knowledge of the things”). Note that “RERUM (=of the things) is the genitive plural of RES, 5th.declension; COGNITIONEM is a direct object in the accusative singular of COGNITIO, 3rd.declension, meaning exactly “knowledge as a consequence of perception or of the exercise of our mental powers”.

-I search for / I am searching/looking for =QUAERO (see above)

-(the) truth =VERUM (direct object, accusative neuter, 2nd.declension) or VERITATEM (direct object, accusative of VERITAS, 3rd.declension)

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English, as Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of a word.

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: