Ancient Languages/correct translation?

QUESTION: hi maria! first of all thanks so much for your help.

i want to say seize the day and inspire.
is carpe diam et inspirant correct?

also, i want to say strength as in inner strength
is fortitudo correct?

once again thanks so much for your help!

ANSWER: Hello,

The feminine noun “fortitudo” (3rd.declension, nominative case used only as a subject  of a sentence) means just “inner strength”.

As for “Seize the day”, it translates as “Carpe diem” which is a quotation from Horace’s Odes, Book 1, ode 11, line 8, where the Roman poet (died in  8 BC ) invites a girl, Leuconoe, to enjoy life as long as it's possible and then seize the pleasures of the moment without concern for the future.

Finally, with regard to “and inspire”, you should explain the sense of this verb.
Does “inspire” mean “To stimulate energies, ideals, or reverence “ as in “A leader who inspires by example”?or does it mean “ to motivate”? or whatever?

In short, no translation can be correct, unless you explain your thought as  Latin is a very precise language.

Best regards,
Note that:

-Seize= CARPE (2nd.person singular, imperative of CARPO, I seize)
-the day=DIEM (direct object in the accusative singular of DIES, 5th. declension).

Lastly note that Latin is an inflected language where each word changes ending according to its role in a sentence.
For example the nominative case FORTITUDO means "the inner strenght" as a subject of a phrase, but its genitive FORTITUDINIS means "of the inner strength", etc.
"Carpe diam et inspirant " is wrong, of course!

QUESTION: hi again maria,

my sentance is seize the day and inspire-
my meaning is seize the day and inspire other people. as to inspire a person to "quit smoking" etc.

your clarification is much appreciated. thank you!

the only way to translate correctly your sentence in the sense you explained could be the following:”Carpe diem aliosque admone!”

Please note that:

-ALIOSQUE [composed of ALIOS, direct object, accusative plural of ALIUS, and of the enclitic conjunction –QUE (=and) attached to the end of ALIOS) = and other people.

-ADMONE (2nd.person singular, present imperative of the verb ADMONEO, I inspire/ I  admonish )= inspire.

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: