Ancient Languages/Translate to Latin

Question
Dear Maria
First of all I hope you had a great vacation!
What is the Latin translation to "Respect Life"? the context is to not kill or harm life (animal or human).
Thank you kindly!

Answer
Hello,

“Respect Life” in the sense you mean can be translated as follows:

-“Vitam cole et observa”, if the imperative “Respect” is  addressed to only one person(2nd.person singular).

-“Vitam colite et observate”, if the imperative “Respect” is  addressed to more than only one person(2nd.person plural).

or:

-“Vitae adhibe reverentiam”(literally, “Have respect of life”), if the imperative “Respect” is  addressed to only one person(2nd.person singular).

-“Vitae adhibete reverentiam” (literally, “Have respect of life”), if the imperative “Respect” is  addressed to more than only one person(2nd.person plural).

As you can see, Latin imperative uses different endings, according to a 2nd.person singular and a 2nd.person plural, whereas English imperative is the same in both the singular/plural person.

Please learn more below where you can see the grammatical analysis.

All the best,
Maria
________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Respect = COLE (2nd.person singular, present imperative of COLO) ET (conjunction meaning “and”) OBSERVA (2nd.person singular, present imperative of OBSERVO).
Latin uses a hendiadys, i.e. a figure of speech in which two words connected by a conjunction are used to express a single notion just to emphasize a concept.

-life = VITAM (direct object of COLE/COLITE, accusative singular of VITA, 1st.declension)

Note that “Respect life ”can also be translated as VITAE ADHIBE REVERENTIAM or VITAE ADHIBETE REVERENTIAM (literally, “Have respect of life”) where ADHIBE (have) is the 2nd.person singular, present imperative of ADHIBEO) while ADHIBETE is the 2nd.person plural, present imperative of ADHIBEO);  REVERENTIAM corresponds to “respect” in “Have respect of") and VITAE (genitive singular of VITA ) means “of life” in "Have respect of life”.

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English, simply because Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Ancient Languages

Maria