Ancient Languages/My attempt at Translation

Question
Hi, I desperately need some homework help (it's for art I hope that still counts). I've been working on a big project and wanted to have 2 passages worked into the piece. They were originally in English, but I wanted them to be in Latin. I asked a friend to translate for me, and I should have known better. From the little Latin I understand (in addition to the Italian I speak) it sounded off. I just don't know how off it is...
It's too late to start the project over, but I may be able to try and fix it. My due date is frighteningly soon & no extension is possible because my work is scheduled to be picked up and delivered as a donation later that day.
I'm really embarrassed but I want to know the truth, please don't sugar coat it.  
Thank you so much, sincerely from the bottom of my heart. I can't express how grateful for you time, effort & generosity.

The Quotes:

2) Melius est creans quam ut diseat Creandi est vitae essentia

(It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life.)

2) Solus via ut est smarter ludens smarter adversarius

(You will only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.)

Answer
Hello,

The sentence “It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life” can be translated  as follows:

1)“Melius est agere quam discere! Vitae essentia est enim agere” (literal translation)
or :
2)“Melius est agere  quam discere! In actione enim consistit vita” (literally meaning: “It is better to create than to learn! Life’s essence consists in deeds”).

Both translations are correct, of course, and thus you can choose the one you like better.

As for “You will only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent”, it translates correctly as follows :

-”Intellegentior fies  cum intellegentiore solum ludendo adversario”
(literal translation)

See below for parsing.

As for your translations, I am sorry, but they both are grammatically and synctatically  wrong.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-It is =EST (3rd.person singular.Present indicative of SUM=I am)

-better =MELIUS ( comparative neuter of BONUS= good, and BENE=well)

-to create = AGERE (present infinitive of AGO used as the subject of the sentence). Please note that AGERE means “to do”, “to act”, “to labor”, in opp. to rest or idleness. Instead, the Latin verb  CREARE  means “to bring forth”, “to produce” and thus it is not appropriate here.

-than = QUAM (introducing the comparison)

-to learn = DISCERE (present infinitive of  DISCO, I learn)

-Creating =AGERE (present infinitive of AGO used as the subject of the sentence )

-is=EST .Latin prefers to add ENIM meaning "in fact".

-the essence =ESSENTIA (predicate noun.nominative case. 1st.declension)

-of life =VITAE (genitive of VITA, 1st.declension).

Also note that “In actione consistit vita” literally means:”Life’s essence  consists in deeds” where “life’s essence” is VITA (nominative), “consists” is “CONSISTIT (3rd.person singular, present indicative of CONSISTO, I consist) and IN ACTIONE (ablative of ACTIO , 3rd.declension noun )corresponds to “in deeds” .
_____________________________________________________________________

As for “You will only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent “, note that:

-You will .... get  =FIES (2nd.person singular, future of FIO = I become, I get )

-smarter =INTELLEGENTIOR (comparative masculine singular of the adjective INTELLEGENS)

-only  =SOLUM (adverb)

-by playing = LUDENDO (gerund ablative of the verb LUDO, I play. This is an ablative of  instrument. The verb LUDO takes CUM + the ablative case)

-a smarter = CUM (preposition depending on LUDENDO)  INTELLEGENTIORE ( ablative singular masculine , comparative of INTELLEGENS agreed with ADVERSARIO)

-opponent =ADVERSARIO (ablative of ADVERSARIUS. 2nd.declension).

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English because Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by the order of the words, so that word order often depends on the writer's choice.

Ancient Languages

Maria