Ancient Languages/translation

Question
Dear Maria,

many thanks for your reply! I am an artist and now working on project about multiculturalism in EU.

If you can help me to translate the OTHERNESS/ALTERITY to Ancient Latin.

Kind regards,

Natalia

Answer
Dear Natalia,

thanks for explaining your thought.
So, the noun “otherness” as “alterity” in the sense of “the state or quality of being other/ being otherwise”  just in a context of multiculturalism  can be translated as DIVERSITAS in classical Latin, while in late Latin Boethius, the philosopher of the early 6th century AD, uses ALTERITAS.

I think however that it is better to use the classical Latin noun DIVERSITAS.

Note that both DIVERSITAS and ALTERITAS are feminine nouns belonging to the 3rd.declension. They both are in the nominative case as a subject of a sentence.
Latin is in fact an inflected language where each noun changes ending according to its role in a phrase (subject, direct object, indirect object) and its declension, as Latin has five declensions and six cases (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative, ablative).

Hope this helps. Feel free however to ask me again.

Best regards,

Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria