Ancient Languages/Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

Hello, I saw the Latin phrase Audaces Fortuna Iuvat on a t-shirt from a favorite organization and I was wondering what it meant? I was also wondering if Latin is written or punctuated in a specific way so that I can write it in calligraphy for a friend.

the Latin phrase “Audaces Fortuna iuvat” means “Fortune favours the bold”.

It is an adaptation of “Audentis Fortuna iuvat” which is the exact quotation from Virgil’s Aeneid, book 10, line 284, where Turnus, the king of the Rutuli, an Italic tribe, and the chief antagonist of the hero Aeneas, urges his soldiers  to be audacious  and fight boldly against Aeneas for fortune will help the brave.

As for your question about writing and punctuation, please note that Latin is not written and punctuated in a specific way, so that you can write either "Audaces Fortuna iuvat" or "Audentis Fortuna iuvat", just like  the Roman poet Virgil (died in 19 BC) wrote, as you can see at

Best regards,
Note that:

-AUDACES ( direct object, accusative masculine plural  of  AUDAX) or AUDENTIS (archaic poetic form, accusative masculine plural  of AUDENS, present participle of the verb AUDEO, I am bold )=  the bold

-FORTUNA (subject,nominative case, 1st.declension)= Fortune

-IUVAT (3rd.person singular, present indicative of IUVO, I favour) = favours  

Ancient Languages

I am an expert in Latin & Ancient Greek Language and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: