Ancient Languages/remark from Plato's Republic

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I would like to know the translation of this phrase from Plato's Republic -- about the purpose of dialectic -- that I have attached here as an image (since I can't type in polytonic Greek). Thanks very much if you can help with this.

Emma

ANSWER: Hello,

I am sorry, but unfortunately there is no image attached to your question and then I cannot know the phrase from Plato's Republic you want to be translated.

So, send me please  another message with the phrase you refer to or the exact passage of Plato's Republic where such a quotation is placed.  For example, Plato’s Republic 327a.

Otherwise I cannot help you.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, best regards
Maria

QUESTION: Thanks. I am trying again to attach an image, this time in PDF; perhaps the file size of the other was too large. This attachment contains the initial words of the passage, and my full excerpt extends for about seven more words. I know that this very short passage is from The Republic i, 352d; and I know it has to do with the purpose of Plato's dialectic. Thanks for any help you can give.

Emma

ANSWER: Sorry, but once again I did not receive any attachment.
Anyway, here’s the passage from Plato’s Republic 1.352d that you mention.

[352δ] μὲν οὖν ὅτι οὕτως ἔχει μανθάνω, ἀλλ᾽ οὐχ ὡς σὺ τὸ πρῶτον ἐτίθεσο: εἰ δὲ καὶ ἄμεινον ζῶσιν οἱ δίκαιοι τῶν ἀδίκων καὶ εὐδαιμονέστεροί εἰσιν, ὅπερ τὸ ὕστερον προυθέμεθα σκέψασθαι, σκεπτέον. φαίνονται μὲν οὖν καὶνῦν, ὥς γέ μοι δοκεῖ, ἐξ ὧν εἰρήκαμεν: ὅμως δ᾽ ἔτι βέλτιον σκεπτέον. οὐ γὰρ περὶ τοῦ ἐπιτυχόντος ὁ λόγος, ἀλλὰ περὶ τοῦ ὅντινα τρόπον χρὴ ζῆν.

Is it really what you  wanted to send me?

If so, tell me please which words you want to be translated. Otherwise I cannot help you.
Bye,
Maria

QUESTION: Thanks for this. The orthography in my version is slightly different, but it seems clear that the excerpt I have is the last full sentence of this passage. I would be grateful for your help.

All the best,
Emma

Answer
Hello,

the passage 352d deals with the main ethical question of the Republic, that is the view  that injustice is more advantageous than justice, i.e. that the life of the unjust man is better than that of the just, as says the sophist Thrasymachus of Chalcedon whose ideas are discussed and opposed by Socrates thanks to his maieutics  and dialectics.

So, here’s the translation of 352δ:
εἰ δὲ καὶ ἄμεινον ζῶσιν οἱ δίκαιοι τῶν ἀδίκων καὶ εὐδαιμονέστεροί εἰσιν, ὅπερ τὸ ὕστερον προυθέμεθα σκέψασθαι, σκεπτέον.
φαίνονται μὲν οὖν καὶ νῦν, ὥς γέ μοι δοκεῖ, ἐξ ὧν εἰρήκαμεν: ὅμως δ᾽ ἔτι βέλτιον σκεπτέον.
οὐ γὰρ περὶ τοῦ ἐπιτυχόντος ὁ λόγος, ἀλλὰ περὶ τοῦ ὅντινα τρόπον χρὴ ζῆν.

“We have now to consider whether the just have a better life than the unjust and are happier, which is the question we afterwards proposed for examination.
So, from what we have already said, it appears right now that they (i.e. the just)are happier, as far as I think: we must however consider it more carefully.
In fact, the discussion is not on an ordinary matter, but on the right conduct of life(literally, “on  how everyone must live”)".

Hope this can be helpful to you.
Best regards,
Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria