Ancient Languages/Latin Translation

Question
I would love to have your translation of several phrases, but I'll start here:  "A risky existence is better than certain death".  I am a true fan of Latin, but my translation is, I'm sure, clumsy and amateurish: "vivere con periculum, mortem quaedam melius est".

I assure you this is NOT a TATTOO!

Answer
Hello,

“Melior vită est periculosă quam mors certă” as well as “Morte certā melior vită est periculosă”  are the correct translations for  "A risky existence is better than certain death" [Read more below].  
So, you can use the one you like better.

As for your version "Vivere con periculum, mortem quaedam melius est", I’m sorry, but it is absolutely wrong.

See below for the grammatical analysis of my translations.

Best regards,
Maria
__________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-A risky = PERICULOSA (nominative feminine singular of  the adjective PERICULOSUS agreed with the feminine noun VITA)

-existence = VITA (nominative case, 1st.declension)

-is =EST (3rd.person singular, present indicative of SUM, I am)

-better =MELIOR (nominative feminine singular, comparative, agreed with VITA)

-than =QUAM (conjunction used after a comparative adjective or adverb to introduce the second element of a comparison which must be in the same case as the first element of comparison)

-certain =CERTA (nominative feminine of the adjective CERTUS agreed with the feminine noun MORS)

-death =MORS (nominative, 3rd.declension. This second element of  the comparison is in the nominative simply because the first element of comparison, i.e. “vită”, is in the nominative).

Please note that in  my second translation “Morte certā melior vită est periculosă”  I’ve used the ablative “morte certā” because the comparison can also be translated with the ablative case.

Also, I  have to point out that the short ă with the breve in “certă”   indicates the nominative, while the long  ā  with the macron in “morte certā” indicates the ablative case.

In fact, the MACRON is the horizontal line placed over vowel to indicate it is long , while the BREVE is  the curved mark placed over a vowel to show that it has a short sound.

Lastly, I must tell you that Latin word order can be variable,  as you can see.
Latin is in fact  an inflected language where synctatic relationships are indicated by the endings, not by the order of the words like in English.

Ancient Languages

Maria