Ancient Languages/long-distance

Question
Hello,

Please help me to translate in Ancient Greek:

long-distance migration or something that has migrated a long distance from far.

Answer
Hello,

in ancient Greek there are two terms for “long-distance migration” related to the emigration of  a group of people from one geographical area to another.
Here they are:

1)μετανάστασις (nominative case, 3rd.declension) related to persons that left  their town to go to another geographical area where they hoped to  try their  fortune.

2)ἀποίκησις (nominative case, 3rd.declension) that however is used especially  with reference to ancient Greek colonists who  settled  in a foreign country, like e.g. Italy.

If on the contrary you are referring to  “long-distance migration” related to species of  birds, I have to tell you that the Ancient Greek writers such as Hesiod, Homer, Herodotus and Aristotle tell of long-distance migration of birds that stretch  their wings toward the south, but they do not use a specific noun to indicate such a migration.

Best regards,
Maria

Ancient Languages

Maria