Ancient Languages/Latin Phrase

Question
Hello,

I was hoping you could help me? I have found the phrase "Don't fear the reaper," but I am looking and haven't been able to find the phrase, "Fear the Reaper." Please if you would help me end my search. Thank you

Answer
Hello,

as I think that  in "Fear the reaper"  the word "reaper” is the figurative way to mean “ the grim reaper” as  death personified, i.e. the angel of death, here’s the Latin translation of “Fear the Reaper”:

-“Mortem time saeva falce imminentem”
(literally, “Fear death coming secretly with a cruel sickle".  Note that the sickle  is the emblem of the Grim Reaper,as the personification of Death is often portrayed and described as carrying a sickle rather than the more traditional scythe, as we read frequently in Tibullus, Elegies, Book I, passim, i.e. "here and there").

or simply:

-“Mortem time” (literally, “Fear the death”)

If on the contrary “the reaper”  means merely “One who reaps a wheat field”, for example,  you should say as follows:

“Messorem time”.
(Literally, "Fear the reaper")

Read more below.

Best regards,
Maria
________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Fear = TIME (2nd.person singular, imperative of TIMEO, I fear)

-the Reaper (as death personified) = MORTEM  (death) SAEVA (ablative feminine of the adjective SAEVUS = with the cruel) FALCE (ablative of FALX, sickle) IMMINENTEM (= "coming secretly" as IMMINENTEM  is the accusative, present participle of the verb IMMINEO, agreed with MORTEM).

-the Reaper (as “one who reaps”, not "death personofied") = MESSOREM (direct object, accusative of MESSOR, 3rd.declension)

As you can see, Latin word order can be variable for Latin is an inflected language (with six cases, five declensions, four conjugations) where grammatical/syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings, not by the order of the words.

Ancient Languages

Maria